Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a member here for a while, but never posted until now. Sadly its for an issue with the bike :(.

I have a 07 CBR 1000RR. The battery was just stone dead after the winter, so I bought a new one. Put it in last weekend, and the bike started right up. Drove it to the gas station to put fresh gas in it, and aired up the tires. I drove it another 20 miles or so that day, and then another 40-50 the next day. Bike ran great! That was 2 weekends ago...

It was covered all last week, this past weekend, and this week up until today. I went to start it up this am, and it just turns and turns, but will not fire. About the 4th starting attempt it fired and then immediately died. Tried to start it again and nothing. Went for the 5th time, and it fired after a couple seconds but again died instantly. All of my display lights are coming on, and I am not noticing the bike "loosing" any ummph as I continually try and start it.

Any ideas as to why the thing will fire and then instantly die randomly? It cuts off so quick I can not even flinch on the throttle to try and catch it.

I have not tried to push start it yet since I was running late as it was before this happened this am. I will try that tonight/tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Premium Member
9,087 Posts
Been a member here for a while, but never posted until now. Sadly its for an issue with the bike :(.

I have a 07 CBR 1000RR. The battery was just stone dead after the winter, so I bought a new one. Put it in last weekend, and the bike started right up. Drove it to the gas station to put fresh gas in it, and aired up the tires. I drove it another 20 miles or so that day, and then another 40-50 the next day. Bike ran great! That was 2 weekends ago...

It was covered all last week, this past weekend, and this week up until today. I went to start it up this am, and it just turns and turns, but will not fire. About the 4th starting attempt it fired and then immediately died. Tried to start it again and nothing. Went for the 5th time, and it fired after a couple seconds but again died instantly. All of my display lights are coming on, and I am not noticing the bike "loosing" any ummph as I continually try and start it.

Any ideas as to why the thing will fire and then instantly die randomly? It cuts off so quick I can not even flinch on the throttle to try and catch it.

I have not tried to push start it yet since I was running late as it was before this happened this am. I will try that tonight/tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any help!
doesn't sound like an electrical gremlin to me.....:D

battery admitedly died after the winter... but that aint unusual if left pluged in.... and it dont sound like the new one has an issue....

have you checked spark? is fuel gettin through?..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not gotten to pull the plugs since I am still at work actually lol. This just hit me this am, so I can hopefully get some more info in the next few days.

I am just hesitant to start unscrewing/unplugging things on this bike since I do not have a repair manual or anything handy for it yet. I had a Haynes for my '99 but that wont do me any good on this one!

Im sure there is a write up or trillion on this site that I can check for on getting to the plugs. Ill do some more browsing before I head home for the night.

·
Registered
454 Posts
yeah, I kinda agree with Sideshow bob - it may well not be an electrical issue - you say you topped up the gas, how long had the old gas been in the tank ?, older petrol can turn a bit waxy and I guess under some circumstances potentially block injectors etc...

Worth checking the plugs, but I'd have to wonder about the state of your fuel injection system too...

Cheers, Spanky

·
Registered
342 Posts
sounds like you have water in your gas..

even though water is a liquid, it cant flow through an injector, at least not all that well. so it tends to block fuel flow. it sounds like the fuel is able to get by the water but not fast enough to sustain an idle in your case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I got home last night and it was getting to dark to really do anything. I was talking to a friend here at work that also rides and he suggested to flip the kill switch on and off a few times just to make sure nothing had gotten stuck.

I flipped it on and off about 3 times, pulled in the clutch, hit the ignition, and it fired right up. No hesistaion what so ever...

I get up this am, and get ready for work. I head out and put the key in. Kill switch is off. I go and start it, and it just turns and turns. Flip the switch a few times again and it fires right up. Drove it to the bank, and it fired right up when I got done with what I needed to do. Drove it here to work with no problems.

To answer the above questions, the bike sat for about 2-3 months. Every few weeks I would go out and start it up for 15 mins or so, but the battery still wasnt able to keep its charge I guess.

Also there are no error codes showing.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Actually, I should have mentioned the kill switch thing...my brother is a mechanic who always turns his engine off using the kill switch to keep the contacts clean and free of corrosion - I guess just like everything else made of metal they can get wet and oxidise making a crappy connection.

Cheers, Spanky

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.