Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Idaho is experiencing another summer with a huge infestation of Mormon Crickets - these giant grasshopper/cricket things that can cover the road and make them very slippery - not good for fast cornering, that's for sure. Article and photo from today's ride below:

Article

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
We occasionally get grasshopper infestations like that. Hideous waves of them flying low and landing on the tarmac for sunbathing duty. Makes cleaning the bike a real biatch!

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
they sound a bit like the cain toads in queensland, they are a real problem and are slowly heading towards new south wales, so Z better watch out

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
You know Bacchus, between the f-ing snakes, spiders large enough to carry off a small dog, and now those mutant bronze grasshoppers and sqooshy wormy-thingies, I have no desire to visit you anymore.

Please remove me from your Buddy List.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
We get June Bugs/May Flies here. Millions. Lasts about a week but they COVER the streets and billboards. Coming into my city, by the river, There is a 10 foot in diameter pile 2 feet tall in the street that the city crew has to sweep up. its nasty as hell, they get everywhere and TASTE LIKE ####! Thank god they only live 24 hours.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
stegen : We get June Bugs/May Flies here.
Now JUNEBUGS, those are neat little critters. If you catch one under your boot and step down ever so slightly, you can actually hear the little Junebug O-ring give loose and some stuff that looks like peanut butter comes out.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
bwhip : Quote (fumbducker @ June 01 2003, 5:39pm)Nasty looking...

Bogus Basin road?
Good memory! Yep - the bugs show up from about 3,500 feet to about 5,000, then you don't see as many.
Back in the day...like twenty years ago I laid a Honda 400 four supersport down an one of the corners on that road at like 80 per...hit some sand. I'll NEVER forget that road or the lessons learned...anti-squid lessons. FWIW, I was almost a mile ahead of the guy I was racing 'to the top' and he had a brand new Nitehawk 700...oh to be young, dumb, and full of ... again.

J

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Zeeman : Quote (ratter1 @ June 02 2003, 10:17am)they sound a bit like the cain toads in queensland, they are a real problem and are slowly heading towards new south wales, so Z better watch out
They're making their way to Victoria...

Z...

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
thats pretty nasty man! I have not seen anything like that in my life. Up here in VT though everything freezes and dies every 6 months! its how the local bug population stays down!

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Chain : Quote (stegen @ June 01 2003, 9:55pm)We get June Bugs/May Flies here.
Now JUNEBUGS, those are neat little critters. If you catch one under your boot and step down ever so slightly, you can actually hear the little Junebug O-ring give loose and some stuff that looks like peanut butter comes out.  
Sick. That's all I can think of to say.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts