Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the forum and forums in general but I'm in dire need of help. This will be a long read but I will certainly appreciate any reply. So, I have a Honda CBR400RRK NC23. I haven't ridden the bike for about 4 weeks due to the petrol tank being re-sprayed, fitted a brand new stainless exhaust system that I heat wrapped personally. Went out for a ride and about 20 minutes in the and temperature rose to just over half (which it never does) worried about over heating I jumped off the bike and noticed I was losing COOLANT as it was GREEN and it was noticeable on the fairing, so I killed the engine and got it home. Once home had a good look, there's no puncture in the rad or in any coolant pipes, but I did notice that there's crystalized fluid that had seeped from the ROCKER COVER. Took the dip-stick out and there's a slight toffee look to the oil suggesting that the HEAD GASKET is gone. Here come the questions....
#1 Could the new heat wrapped exhaust cause pressure/heat build-up within the header and cause the ROCKER COVER/HEAD GASKET to pop?
#2 I've been to a local garage (that had imported these years ago) and they generated a list of parts, one of these is the small "self-sealing" washers that go into the top of the rocker cover, could the originals be re-used? Should I buy new? Or am I just being fleeced?
#3 I'm fairly knowledgeable with mechanics with the help of my 2 brothers (1 a car mechanic and the other a bike nut) Is this a job that we should have a crack at or send it to the garage at a heavy labour cost?

I thank you in advance for reading the essay and I appreciate any reply :)

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hi all, new to the forum and forums in general but I'm in dire need of help. This will be a long read but I will certainly appreciate any reply. So, I have a Honda CBR400RRK NC23. I haven't ridden the bike for about 4 weeks due to the petrol tank being re-sprayed, fitted a brand new stainless exhaust system that I heat wrapped personally. Went out for a ride and about 20 minutes in the and temperature rose to just over half (which it never does) worried about over heating I jumped off the bike and noticed I was losing COOLANT as it was GREEN and it was noticeable on the fairing, so I killed the engine and got it home. Once home had a good look, there's no puncture in the rad or in any coolant pipes, but I did notice that there's crystalized fluid that had seeped from the ROCKER COVER. Took the dip-stick out and there's a slight toffee look to the oil suggesting that the HEAD GASKET is gone. Here come the questions....
#1 Could the new heat wrapped exhaust cause pressure/heat build-up within the header and cause the ROCKER COVER/HEAD GASKET to pop?
#2 I've been to a local garage (that had imported these years ago) and they generated a list of parts, one of these is the small "self-sealing" washers that go into the top of the rocker cover, could the originals be re-used? Should I buy new? Or am I just being fleeced?
#3 I'm fairly knowledgeable with mechanics with the help of my 2 brothers (1 a car mechanic and the other a bike nut) Is this a job that we should have a crack at or send it to the garage at a heavy labour cost?

I thank you in advance for reading the essay and I appreciate any reply :)

I can't see any way for the exhaust wrapping to cause this. If anything the engine should run cooler. If the exhaust system is blocked that would increase the engine temp, again though I can't see it blowing the head gasket.
Do a compression test and a cooling system pressure test.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts