Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall! I took the clutch pack out of a 99 900rr and put them into my 97 900rr. The pack that i took out of the "97" bike had a few broken fibre plates, but the bike was running perfectly before i took them out. After the changeover the bike now doesnt move. I select a gear and try to ride but the bike just revs up and stays in a freewheel state no matter what gear i select. The shift feels normal and everything but i get no drive. The kickstand also doesnt kill the engine wen down, since the change over.

HELP ME PLEASE!!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
It sounds like the clutch pack you put in is not the correct added thickness that is needed. Disassemble and check a manual for the correct number of friction and steel plates or compare to what you removed. Also the order. Be sure everything else is insalled correctly. One missing plate will make you lose your drive to the transmission.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow!! It really didnt occur to me to count the plates. How stupid huh? I will check that out. Thanks yall! ill let yall know how that go

·
Registered
136 Posts
Scary. Maybe you should have someone else work on your bike. It'd sure suck to have the brakes fail. If you're gonna be swapping and modifying you had better be paying attention to what you are doing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know now. im not normally that complacent but u know.
But to everyone. OK if that isnt tha problem, what can be another reason for this problem? becuz tha pack fitted right on and didnt leave any room. so what might be another reason for tha problem?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Did you put the springs in? Have you measured the two stacks? Have you measure individual plates and disk? Have you looked at microfiche to see if they are swappable?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ill do all that. one more thing. suggest some nice replacement fibre plates. and wats tha microfiche??

·
Registered
434 Posts
I know now. im not normally that complacent but u know.
But to everyone. OK if that isnt tha problem, what can be another reason for this problem? becuz tha pack fitted right on and didnt leave any room. so what might be another reason for tha problem?
If you put the 99 plates in a 97 clutch basket this is your problem. No way around it. Not only does the 99 have less fibers and plates but it also has 3 different types of fibers that are labeled as A, B and C. Where as the 97 only has the A and B fibers. Each fiber has a different thickness and has to be installed in its proper place in the clutch pack. Plus the clutch baskets are also different. It may have looked like every thing fit and left no room but in reality there is enough space now between the fibers, plates, clutch basket and pressure plate to cause the clutch to slip and this is why the bike is not moving. One other thing when you put in the last fiber did you but it in the same slots as all of the other fibers or did you place it in the shallow slots at the end of the basket? It is suppose to be in the shallow slots at the end. If you put it in the same slots as the rest of the fibers this maybe why everything looked like it fit. With the last fiber in the shallow slots at the end of the clutch basket you should be able to see where the other fibers and plates are missing.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Did you put the springs in? Have you measured the two stacks? Have you measure individual plates and disk? Have you looked at microfiche to see if they are swappable?
I have posted that they are not swappable because the 99 has less fibers and plates. He can use the A, B fibers and steel plates from the 99 but he will need more B fibers and steel plates to have the correct stack height.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
seeing that a few of the fibre plates from the 97 pack were broken can anyone suggest a nice aftermarket performance clutch pack?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok well i finally got tha friction discs and installed them. I can select my gears now. But just for general knowlege, anything yall think i need to know about this process? Thanks to all of yall who left info, much appreciated

1 - 18 of 18 Posts