Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, let me run you through exactly what happened. Some friends and I were have a great ride this afternoon. After carving some great turns on a Hwy 44 we came out on a 4 lane state rd and proceeded to open them up. I noticed a new noise coming from the bike, checked gauges, no overheat, oil pressure's good. As soon as I tried to give it more gas the engine died, I pulled it over and it would start if I gave it a little throttle. However it will not run if I try to let it idle, dies right away. There is a grinding kind of noise when its running that increases with engine rpms, doesn't matter if the clutch is engaged or not but it seems less noisy when put under a light load. We ended up getting a truck and bringing it back into town, we didn't have as many guys or a ramp so when we got back to town so we had to find a spot sutable for dropping the bike off, which means I had to drive it a short (3/4 mile) distance to home. I just managed 2nd gear but didn't want to push it harder for fear of breaking it even further. I had to hold the clutch about half in to keep the noise to tolerable levels.

So do you guys think I fractured my clutch and it's dragging on the engine?

Or does it sound like I broke the engine?

Depressingly awaiting your suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Ok, let me run you through exactly what happened. Some friends and I were have a great ride this afternoon. After carving some great turns on a Hwy 44 we came out on a 4 lane state rd and proceeded to open them up. I noticed a new noise coming from the bike, checked gauges, no overheat, oil pressure's good. As soon as I tried to give it more gas the engine died, I pulled it over and it would start if I gave it a little throttle. However it will not run if I try to let it idle, dies right away. There is a grinding kind of noise when its running that increases with engine rpms, doesn't matter if the clutch is engaged or not but it seems less noisy when put under a light load. We ended up getting a truck and bringing it back into town, we didn't have as many guys or a ramp so when we got back to town so we had to find a spot sutable for dropping the bike off, which means I had to drive it a short (3/4 mile) distance to home. I just managed 2nd gear but didn't want to push it harder for fear of breaking it even further. I had to hold the clutch about half in to keep the noise to tolerable levels.

So do you guys think I fractured my clutch and it's dragging on the engine?

Or does it sound like I broke the engine?

Depressingly awaiting your suggestions.
If you hold a bunch of rags in the muffler outlet you should be able to isolate where the noise is coming from.
If it sounds like the clutch, lean the bike to the left and pull the clutch cover off to inspect it.
I'd also pull the valve cover and check the cam timing as the tensioner may have broken.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you hold a bunch of rags in the muffler outlet you should be able to isolate where the noise is coming from.
If it sounds like the clutch, lean the bike to the left and pull the clutch cover off to inspect it.
I'd also pull the valve cover and check the cam timing as the tensioner may have broken.
So is this a non clearance type engine?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Def not qualified to answer your question but did you notice any difference in your clutch? Is it slipping? is the pull weird?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I'm unfamiliar with sport bike engine designs, still learning:).

Well that could really suck.:crying:
I've only worked on a few dozen different car engines and most of those are interference engines as well. Non-interference engines are unusual. What engines are you used to working with? My Suzuki Swifts are non-interference even after milling 1mm off the head :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I've only worked on a few dozen different car engines and most of those are interference engines as well. Non-interference engines are unusual. What engines are you used to working with? My Suzuki Swifts are non-interference even after milling 1mm off the head :)
Ford 5.0 HO is one. I know most aren't, it was wishful thinking.

·
Registered
55 Posts
5.0?
I've built 4.9's (302 Cleveland) but I haven't heard of the 5.0.
the cleveland was a 5.0L v-8 engine, was really popular, mustangs almost all had them. the 4.9L was fords inline 6 cylinder. I wish I had a closet that is as tight as yours, I wouldnt know about any of the world views or anything. J/K

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
the cleveland was a 5.0L v-8 engine, was really popular, mustangs almost all had them. the 4.9L was fords inline 6 cylinder. I wish I had a closet that is as tight as yours, I wouldnt know about any of the world views or anything. J/K
Say what?
I thought the Mustangs ran the 4.9 litre 302?
I haven't heard of any inline-six 4.9 litre engine though - what were they used in?
Don't know about closets but if you're saying the 302 is 5.0 litres then your closet is wrong ;-)

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Actually, didn't GMH make a 305 version of the 308 so they could fit it into the 5.0 litre race class?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
this might help the uneducated, bladeracer it is ok, I have been doing cars for 12+ so you can be wrong. Stick to your bikes.

Ford Engine Technical Specs & Information
I did see this bit "The Small Block Ford engine is commonly referred to as the 5.0 engine found in the Mustang for many years." so it may be _commonly_ called that where you are but I've never heard it called that and I can't find anything where Ford called it that either.
Here it is a 4.9 litre and the cars had "4.9" on the fenders.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's always been a 4.9l 302. If you do the math on cu in a 305 chevy is a true 5.0l. Ford called it's 302 a 5.0 for advertising purposes!!!

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
It's always been a 4.9l 302. If you do the math on cu in a 305 chevy is a true 5.0l. Ford called it's 302 a 5.0 for advertising purposes!!!
So at some point the 302 was actually advertised by Ford as a five-litre motor?
That's the sort of thing I Googled for but didn't find anything. The 302 was one of the very first engines I ever built (around '88/'89 I guess) so I'm just curious is all.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts