Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received an email from Paypal saying that someone has purchased a cell phone on my account for $240. My Paypal account shows no activity and my AmEx card also shows no activity. The shipping address for the phone is to Bill Chang in Maine. The address shows to be an unconfirmed address. Is this a scam to see if I will enter my Paypal logon info or what? This is a first for me.
The email seems legit as far as the format.... has a link to dispute the charges, looks exactly like the Paypal homepage, etc.
Looking for some feedback here please.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I opened a different window and logged in but found no new activity on my account. Just pisses me off when people try to steal my passwords. Im just glad my wife didnt see it first and actually log in.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Got something like that but about a credit card. I called the company in question after locating their number on the internet, not the one provided in the email nor did I use the links in the email. All a scam to get you enter all your data, then they take you blind.

As the Lord of the Manor stated, report it to Paypal and let them handle it.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I got the same exact e-mail. Please tell me that you didn't give any info on the dispute page. If so change your Paypal password now.

I will bet that the e-mail says that you paid that $240 to a place called Phone Depot USA. They don't exist as far as the www.phonedepotusa.com site is concerned.

Report them as a spoof e-mail to Pay Pal as well.

If you placed your credit card info into the reply you may want to contact the card company and have that info changed as well.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
The freaky part is that security experts say "If you receive an e-mail that addresses you as 'Dear PayPal/eBay User/Account Holder' to delete and report the sender." Legit e-mail will address you by name. But now the scam e-mails come addressing you by name (I, too, get one a week). If you click on the link and enter a random name and password, it will usher you right thru, no questions asked. It only trips up when you enter a bogus credit card number.

In short, NEVER click on the link in an e-mail. Like Conq said, go directly to the site in question (even open a different browser window) if you need to check your account. Then dump those cookies!

Signed,
eBay Goddess

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Custom900 said:
I got the same exact e-mail. Please tell me that you didn't give any info on the dispute page. If so change your Paypal password now.

I will bet that the e-mail says that you paid that $240 to a place called Phone Depot USA. They don't exist as far as the www.phonedepotusa.com site is concerned.

Report them as a spoof e-mail to Pay Pal as well.

If you placed your credit card info into the reply you may want to contact the card company and have that info changed as well.
That is the exact email I received! F*$(@ers! No I didnt enter any info at all, I'm a little smarter than that. I have learned a little bit as a cop.:D
Anyone else get this same email.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Lots of crap going on lately it seems. HG and I each had to cancel a credit card within the past week because someone tried to charge something to it. The fraud dept caught it, thankfully, called me, and are issuing a new card. And they denied the charge attempted to be put on. :thumb:

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Diesel954 said:
I received an email from Paypal saying that someone has purchased a cell phone on my account for $240. My Paypal account shows no activity and my AmEx card also shows no activity. The shipping address for the phone is to Bill Chang in Maine. The address shows to be an unconfirmed address. Is this a scam to see if I will enter my Paypal logon info or what? This is a first for me.
The email seems legit as far as the format.... has a link to dispute the charges, looks exactly like the Paypal homepage, etc.
Looking for some feedback here please.
I got one similar. Paypal says that it's a scam. Don't reply to the email or click on any links. Remember, paypal emails address you by name.

HD

1 - 18 of 18 Posts