Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the liqour store today and couldn't resist the pull of the sporting goods shop across the street. It was between a Remington pump 12 ga. Ruger .45 or the Glock 23. Now the torture of waiting ten days to get it. I want to play with it now.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
CBRjack : Went to the liqour store today and couldn't resist the pull of the sporting goods shop across the street. It was between a Remington pump 12 ga. Ruger .45 or the Glock 23. Now the torture of waiting ten days to get it. I want to play with it now.
On offence buddy, but this a funny as hell post. You're in the likka sto' (pronounce it right damnit) and you decide to get a gat, hilarious. I'm glad you can't 'play with it' right now, with your mind on your boos, and your boos on your mind Snoop

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm on vacation this week so I can have a bud at lunchtime. Besides I could have got the gauge and played with it today and I wouldn't have had to pay the 25 bucks to take the lamest safety test in the world when I took it just six months ago.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You actually have to pay to take a written safety test comprised of multiple choice questions. I think a two year old could pass it. I wouldn't be so hurt by the govt. charging the fee to take the test if it was actually deterrent to an idiot getting a gun but it is just soooo easy it's ridiculous and an insult to my intelligence. But I'm so stoked now for my new $hit I don't care.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
CBRjack : You actually have to pay to take a written safety test comprised of multiple choice questions. I think a two year old could pass it. I wouldn't be so hurt by the govt. charging the fee to take the test if it was actually deterrent to an idiot getting a gun but it is just soooo easy it's ridiculous and an insult to my intelligence. But I'm so stoked now for my new $hit I don't care.
Everyone should own a 12-gauge shotgun. Go back and get the Remmington.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
ER : Everyone should own a 12-gauge shotgun.  Go back and get the Remmington.  
I couldn't agree more.

Assuming you bought the Glock for home defense, do yourself a favor and follow ER's advice.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Chain : Quote (ER @ Aug. 28 2003, 5:23pm)Everyone should own a 12-gauge shotgun.  Go back and get the Remmington.  
I couldn't agree more.

Assuming you bought the Glock for home defense, do yourself a favor and follow ER's advice.
Though not a firearms expert of any kind, I like to tell this story when talking to people about self defense.

Once upon a time I was a fairly avid paintballer. During a game of capture the flag, I walked around the corner of the large rock that was our flag station to find my face 3 feet from the face of an opponent. My gun was already shouldered and I fired. So did he. We both missed.

2 guys, 3 feet apart, broad daylight and we both missed. He reloaded faster and I found myself suddenly colorful...

Lest you doubt my marksmanship, a couple years ago I went shooting with a friend who is expert qualified in the Navy (rifle and pistol) and I could handily outshoot him with the rifle.

Anyways, moral of the story, it's pretty easy to miss in a stressful situation.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I have the same model Glock and I like it a lot. I'm not as good with it as I am with other pistols having a shorter trigger-pull, but that just means I need to shoot more.

I'm a huge fan of shotguns, Chain. If I could own only one gun, it would be a shotgun. You can buy rifled barrels and hunt deer with slugs. You can hunt turkeys, dove, pheasant, etc. with a standard turkey barrel. And for home-defense, what could possibly be more effective at 3:00am than an 18' pump-gun with turkey-shot? It'll blow a hole in the turd but the shot will most likely stop short of going through your neighbor's door.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
10 days, huh?

Same day take home here in NH. SHop calls the State Police and does a background check over the phone. If it's good, you go home with a new 'toy' right then.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
nhfirefighter13 : 10 days, huh?

Same day take home here in NH. SHop calls the State Police and does a background check over the phone. If it's good, you go home with a new 'toy' right then.
Same here - it usually takes 20-30 minutes

·
Registered
525 Posts
Glad to hear you got a glock. That's my 2nd favorite gun...was shooting my glock 19 the other day and it was so much better than the SIg 226....that's a great gun. I have a cheap 12Ga. though for those special situations....have fun and be careful man.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wish I could take it home right away so can take it apart and see how it works. But it's all the same because I don't have anything pressing to shoot with it. I bypassed the shotgun in favor of the semiauto for reasons of versatility. It's tough to be stealthy with a 12 ga. The handgun is a lot more fun for target practice and has a wider range of use.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
luvtolean : Quote (Chain @ Aug. 28 2003, 5:25pm)Quote (ER @ Aug. 28 2003, 5:23pm)Everyone should own a 12-gauge shotgun.  Go back and get the Remmington.  
I couldn't agree more.

Though not a firearms expert of any kind, I like to tell this story when talking to people about self defense.

Once upon a time I was a fairly avid paintballer.  During a game of capture the flag, I walked around the corner of the large rock that was our flag station to find my face 3 feet from the face of an opponent.  My gun was already shouldered and I fired.  So did he.  We both missed.  

2 guys, 3 feet apart, broad daylight and we both missed.  He reloaded faster and I found myself suddenly colorful...

Lest you doubt my marksmanship, a couple years ago I went shooting with a friend who is expert qualified in the Navy (rifle and pistol) and I could handily outshoot him with the rifle.

Anyways, moral of the story, it's pretty easy to miss in a stressful situation.
Actualy the moral of the story is if self defence shooting training is what your after, you need to train in a stressfull 'Oh ####!' situation. Standard marksmanship training and qualification is not much more than masterbating with a gun, but does little to teach you how to fight with a firearm, when the #### hits the fan, adrenaline dumps, your fine motor skills go to hell, your vision tunnels, auditory exclusion sets in, and fear/pannic/amazment set in, all in about a half a second. But sadley, most firearms training, LEO and civilian, will continue to be 'Stand at the 10 yard line, draw your fire arm and place 5 rounds within the 5 rings in 15 seconds.'

Mike

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
ER : Quote (CBRjack @ Aug. 28 2003, 4:34pm)You actually have to pay to take a written safety test comprised of multiple choice questions. I think a two year old could pass it. I wouldn't be so hurt by the govt. charging the fee to take the test if it was actually deterrent to an idiot getting a gun but it is just soooo easy it's ridiculous and an insult to my intelligence. But I'm so stoked now for my new $hit I don't care.
Everyone should own a 12-gauge shotgun.  Go back and get the Remmington.  
Get the 870, great pump gun, I put a 30 inch barrel on mine and used it for trap back in high school, sucker shoots a nice pattern

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
ViciousRR : Nice purchase.  I often thought of getting one.  I only have a DE .50, and shells are not cheap.  $3 a shot.
Huh? I remember seeing $1 per shot for those

1 - 20 of 25 Posts