Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I've quit many times before but this time is for real. I just started a new job as firefighter for my town and we aren't allowed to smoke one bit. I've been a very good boy for two weeks. Especially concidering I work with two people who smoke all day around me. Tonight was dart league night which left me half drunk in a bar full of smoke. I stil managed to not give in. I'm actually more proud of me right now than I have been in a long time. I still can't believe I didn't give in. Seriously, It'll be easy from here on out!!!

·
Registered
534 Posts
MedTechRR said:
I know, I've quit many times before but this time is for real. I just started a new job as firefighter for my town and we aren't allowed to smoke one bit. I've been a very good boy for two weeks. Especially concidering I work with two people who smoke all day around me. Tonight was dart league night which left me half drunk in a bar full of smoke. I stil managed to not give in. I'm actually more proud of me right now than I have been in a long time. I still can't believe I didn't give in. Seriously, It'll be easy from here on out!!!
Heck ya, dont you dare smoke another one of those stinky rotten death sticks. Trying hard to make her quit, i watched my mother smoke herself to death. A very good riding buddy just quit. He has been off the darn things for a year now. We worked at the dealership for 6 years together and i would bug him all the time to quit. I got so sick and tired of smelling those stinky things, everywhere we would go i could to see how they were controlling him. I am sick of the tobaco companys and what they are doing to people. Anyhow last year my buddy went into the hospital for an infection on his leg and stayed for eight days on the sixth day he called me and said he wanted me to come visit, so i went there and he started crying and said he wanted to finaly quit after 30 years of two packs a day. He said since he hadent smoked in six days he thought he could kick it but he said he would need my help, i said HECK YA! whada you want me to do......well it's been a year now and you should hear how happy he is to have got free of that crap. He breathes better, is more alert, his thoughts are clearer and no more of that god awfull smell. He says its like having a second chance at life. You wont ever regret quiting, only the tobaco companys will regret that....but some day you might regret smoking DONT DO IT! :patriot:

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Don't do it man, buy alot of gum and keep your mouth full of it. Its hard, especially when you have to be around other (your job) that do smoke. Otherwise, try and keep youself out of situations you feel pressue to smoke. Like half drunk in a bar:nono: I will be 8 years cigarrette smoke free on december 31:thumb: Stay with it, the first week is the hardest and you already beat that:thumb:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It usually never bothers me. I have no problem saying no most of the time. It's those times I've had 3 beers and a cigarette would be the best thing. I actually quit for almost a year then started again occasionaly smoking. This time I'm done. No every once in a while, never.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
I'm confused. You just started a job that doesn't allow you to smoke, but you work with two people that smoke all day long?

Oh wait, I think I remember you have a construction company, so either that or the fireman thing must be part time-ish, right?

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
I smoked for a few years... same thing. Once a few beers were down the hatch that dart looked 10X as good. But any time that I gave in I ended up feeling like total crap. Mentally you feel like crap for failing to resist and physically you feel like crap because your lungs are starting to get used to being... gasp! clean.

The longer I've been a non-smoker the more repulsive I find smoking. Haven't smoked in about 4 years and now I can't even stand to be around someone who's smoking. Makes me almost ill.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
:down: just read my own post and realized that my Mt Dew fix is costing me an Ohlins read shock and a set of rearsets if I don't switch to healthier water this year :shocked:

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
don't even want to know what my cigarette and mtn dew habits are costing me a year. Could probably buy a another bike in a year if i quit both.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I never really worried about money because I'd smoke a pack a week, if that. Never alot but enough. At all is too much.

I work two jobs, as a firefighter and have my own construction company. Plus, all the old firefighters are allowed to smoke as long as they were hired before the law came into affect (sometime in the early 90's).

I never think about it unless others are smoking but now if I haven't been drinking I can't stand the smell. So far so good!

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
abtech said:
If everyone stopped eating and driving and buying houses and supporting their families, they could have new bikes every couple of months . . .
Yes but stopping the consumption of Diet Dews would likely be healthier and cheaper, of course when the eating stops I could go a bit longer than you before starving also...

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
MedTechRR said:
I never really worried about money because I'd smoke a pack a week, if that. Never alot but enough. At all is too much.

I work two jobs, as a firefighter and have my own construction company. Plus, all the old firefighters are allowed to smoke as long as they were hired before the law came into affect (sometime in the early 90's).

I never think about it unless others are smoking but now if I haven't been drinking I can't stand the smell. So far so good!
while the law was made in the 90s it sort of has an anti-grandfather clause where if you were hired after 1971 (I think thats the year but not positive, I know its in the 70s. or atleast thats what my friend who is a firefighter said. he still smokes but he doesn't care if he gets caught and fired cause he hates it) you have to quit.

BUt good for you for quiting :thumb: My freshman year of college it was almost like I smoked with all the smoking my roommate and a c ouple friends did in our room. I got so used to it then but still didn't like it. Now I absolutely hate the smell of it. The worst is after going out then the next morning before you shower you smell it on yourself. Freakin disgusting.
and you know of a town in this state where you can still smoke in a public place?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you can still smoke in Mass in private clubs which is where most of my dart matches are held. Places like eagles, american legion, elks, etc...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts