Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know all you hard-core riders normally use full leather suits and jackets, but can anyone let me know about experiences with textile jackets?

I'm looking to purchase an Icon TiMax jacket for local rides. Any thoughts?
:huh:

·
Registered
527 Posts
don't know anything about a icon, but wore a joe rocket textile for 2.5yrs before buying 2pc frank thomas leathers. i'm mostly a commuter and i enjoyed the versatility it offered.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Have you ever looked closely at the TiMax? It has no armor in it whatsoever. It's just textile with some titanium threads and plates on it, but no impact protection. You would be better off with something else, IMO.

I have a Joe Rocket Rasp jacket, and though not perfect by any means, it has armor that is as good if not better than some leathers I've seen.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have the Fieldsheer Mach I Not as good as full leather but has all the protection I need for my riding around & not too hot either. Very happy W/it:thumb: I don't know if they still make it. Got it for Xmas of 04 from Brockton Cycles.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
deftones156 said:
Do you have the TiMax that he was asking about? I don't have a problem with ICON, but the TiMax looks (and feels) like a glorified POS
Nope, no TiMax here. I have seen the jacket worn by a few people at the track, but I've not inpsected it any closer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the Icon Team Merc Jacket. It has ample armor and is also very durable. I took a dive over the front end of my gixxer after hitting a brick in the road. Luckily I was wear all my gear. The bike wasn't so lucky. Anyway the only inury at all that I had was to my foot which was smashed by the bike. Not one other scratch. I swear by the gear.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I have crashed in a 1st gen JR Phoenix, on the street, went down between 40-50 mph, slid for awhile. No rips or tears, but retired the jacket after that. I felt it was only good for one down, and didn't want to push my luck.

Since then, I've bought a NJK - maker of custom leathers- mesh jacket from Cal-Sportbike, which has CE armor (the JR didn't) in all the impact zones, and a dainese back protector.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I have a white TiMax jacket and love it. It breathes really well and has a nice comfortable fit for my build. I definatly don't regret shelling the money out for it. Looks good, fits comfortably and breathes well. Haven't had a get off with it yet :freebird: . THe reason i bought it was because of the price and after how much i like this jacket i will definatly be buying more icon gear later on

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would have to second the Joe Rocket Textile style Jacket as being a good Jacket. To be quite honest with you I just ordered an Icon one too though haven't got it in the mail yet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wear a Icon Pursuit Jacket, it's awesome. Does have armor in the shoulders and albows. Also has a waterproof liner.
The Icon Timax jacket is worn both my our head tech and body shop guy from the what I have heard their great, breath well and are very comfortable.
I work for a motorcycle shop and we sell the Icon products, and have heard nothing from our customers that have purchased them. No complaints at all.

Later

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I received the TiMax jacket last week and have been out a few times with it.

It's been pretty warm here in the NE USA, averaging low to mid 80's and high humidity (over 50%), so riding comfort is definitely key. The jacket has plenty of ventilation and is extremely comfortable.

Is has padding on the shoulders, elbows, back, and abdominal region. It also has titanium plating on the shoulders.

And, at $119 at newenough.com, it's a great jacket for the price.

Now all I need to do is outfit my wife for riding and we'll be all set.

·
Registered
674 Posts
ND4SPD said:
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but have you guys checked the going rate for a skingraft these days?
I think the local place is having a special... buy 2 get one free....

Seriously tho... why? Is it because its Mesh? B/c its ICON? or B/c its both?

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Both. I'm not an expert, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I can't see how titanium can protect anything with the way they use it. It will probably cause more damage than prevent. Not to mention that textiles shred/melt as you're sliding on the tarmac. If heat is an issue, perfed leather is the way to go. Either way, I'd rather sweat than bleed JMHO

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
gthotchkiss said:
Seriously tho... why? Is it because its Mesh? B/c its ICON? or B/c its both?
:rotfl: :thumb:

Er..."yes".

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Does anyone here have any definitive proof that Icon's gear is inferior when compared to similar products from mfrs such as Joe Rocket, Teknic, AGV, TourMaster, etc.?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts