Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the scenario. You list parts for sale online and ask interested parties to contact you via e-mail. You get several e-mails asking questions about the parts, requesting pics, etc., but no one says anything that leads you to believe they are ready to buy pending the answers to said questions or seeing the pics, i.e., they didn't say "If the pics look good, I'll buy." After you're done answering the questions and sending pics, while waiting for those parties to respond, you get an e-mail that says "If the parts are still for sale, I will buy them."

Here's the question. Does that last guy get bumped into the number one spot, and everyone else falls in behind him? Or do you go through the hassle of contacting all the others to ascertain their intentions and assign an order that way?

Thanks,

Pete

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
An inquiry is just an inquiry. First person to "show up with cash" gets the deal. I expect that as a buyer, too.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I've always given a window in which they need to decide, letting them know that there are others in line to possibly buy the parts.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ER, so let me make sure I have what you're saying right.

Dude #1 sends you an e-mail asking for pics and you send them. Dude #2 sends you an e-mail asking to describe the parts and you answer him.
Before you hear back from dudes #1 and #2, dude #3 comes along and says "I'll take them."

What next? Do you go back to #1 and #2 with e-mails saying "If you don't respond within the next X hours, they will be sold" or something like that?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
It's one thing if they expressed an interest in buying based on pics or more info, it's another if they're just asking questions. And while it's nice to give everyone a fair chance, it can end up being unfair to lots of people to get carried away with it. I learned the hard way when I was selling an old Tube Screamer. I had a dozen emails within an hour of posting an ad at Craigslist. I tried to give each prospective buyer priority based on the order I received the emails. Long story short, 10 prospective buyers and almost 3 MONTHS later, the 11th dude coughed up the money after waiting that whole time. Nobody else was prepared to pay. I felt bad for making him wait so long after being jerked around by the others.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Pete said:
ER, so let me make sure I have what you're saying right.

Dude #1 sends you an e-mail asking for pics and you send them. Dude #2 sends you an e-mail asking to describe the parts and you answer him.
Before you hear back from dudes #1 and #2, dude #3 comes along and says "I'll take them."

What next? Do you go back to #1 and #2 with e-mails saying "If you don't respond within the next X hours, they will be sold" or something like that?
Correct. It's just something personal to me I suppose, but I always honored a first-come, first-serve. If I had someone genuinely interested in what I was selling and another buyer came along, I notified the first buyer and gave them a short grace period to make up their mind. If I found that they weren't that serious, I would let them know that I was going to go ahead and sell the stuff to someone else. There's no obligation to do that, but that's just the way I handled it. You can run the risk of losing a sale that way.

Specifically, this was how I sold all of my gear online here on the site.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nevermind, I just sold it to "dude #3." Screw #1 and #2. :evilaugh:

But, I do appreciate everyone's input.

I can understand where you're coming from, ER; that is typically how I would operate IF I felt that #1 and #2, etc. were genuinely interested, intended to buy, and asked me to wait until they got back to me (and promised to do it quickly, not string me out). They weren't even near meeting those requirements.

Thanks again,

Pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts