Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a few aviators on here. Dux?

The big 4-engine white plane... what is it? It has a T-tail, so that rules out 747. What are the big 7-blade choppers? My thought was sea kings, like air force 2.

What are the little 4 blade choppers? Apaches?

This is from google earth. The image was taken at Calgary International Airport when the G8 summit was here. A bunch of military aircraft were here with George W.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah, the big white one definitely looks like a C-5. I think the smaller white one might be a Dassault Falcon Jet (HU-25). I remember the coast guard using these jets out of NAS Corpus Christi, Texas.

Not sure on the helos, but the big ones could also maybe be CH-53s. No idea on the small ones.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
CH-53 or variant for the big choppers.

I don't the that's a C-5. I think it may be a C-141.

The C-5 has a more symetrical spacing of the engines on the wings. Much farther away from the fuselage than that pic. Which would leave a C-17 or a C-141, the 17 has turn ups on the end of the wings, and the pic doesn't seem to show them.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
El Steavis said:
Looked at a couple pictures and I think it probably is a C-141.
Are you an F-18 pilot? I worked up in northern Alberta for a while near CFB Cold Lake where Canada keeps a good chunk of its CF-18's. It was very cool (and loud) watching them streak over us at low altitude during their training exersizes.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
There are some weird shadows and angles going on in the pic. For example, there are no white C-5's out there anymore. It's probably a C-5. The C-17 doesn't have the bulb on the front of the T-Tail like the pic and it looks too narrow to be a 141 (which I doubt would be there anyway.)

I could find out for certain, but then if I told you I'd have to.....well you know..... :D

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
C5's if I'm not mistaken now have 2 engines per mount (total of 8 engines). The C-141 designation seems about right. I agree with most on the big helos, appear to be CH-53s or some sort of civilian variant.

The smaller helicopters don't appear to be Apaches or Blackhawks. Both of these (I fly Apaches) have the horizontal stabilator (the rectangular shadow towards the ass end) at the very end of the tailboom, not inboard like the pics show.

As far as "Air Force 2", the number is the FAA code for VIP; 1 is the Prez, 2 is the VP. Any aircraft with the President on it would ID itself to air traffic controllers as XXXX 1 (Marine 1, Air Force 1, and so on). The VP's aircraft will ID itself as XXXX 2.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
seamus said:
C5's if I'm not mistaken now have 2 engines per mount (total of 8 engines). The C-141 designation seems about right..
You are mistaken. C-5's still have, and always will have 1 engine per pylon for a total of four. B-52's have 8. The 141's have almost all retired. It's a C-5. :thumb:

·
Registered
41 Posts
phobiaphobe said:
Are you an F-18 pilot? I worked up in northern Alberta for a while near CFB Cold Lake where Canada keeps a good chunk of its CF-18's. It was very cool (and loud) watching them streak over us at low altitude during their training exersizes.
Yeah, F/A-18 E/F Super Hornets, or Rhinos as they're also called. Wonder if Canada's going to buy some of them too.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Took these over Edwards Airforce Base. A lot of the good shit is blurred out.

The first pic shows what I think are Rockwell B-1's. I didn't know the US still used them.

THe second pic shows a bunch of stuff. The only thing I can identify for sure is an A-10. I think there might be an F-16 too.

edit: on the far left of the second screen, what the hell is that? Looks like some sort of weird Burt Rutan twin-boom thingy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
A-10s are cool, in a pit-bull sort of way. :) I think I see an F-111 in the second pic.

I saw a B1 do a vertical climb once. Amazing.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts