Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just bought a brand spankin new gasket kit for my carbs. I plan on rebuilding them this weekend. I was looking at the idle air screw and was wondering how they come out and at what setting do you put them back in.
These carbs are off a 1994 CBR600 F2. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
So i just bought a brand spankin new gasket kit for my carbs. I plan on rebuilding them this weekend. I was looking at the idle air screw and was wondering how they come out and at what setting do you put them back in.
These carbs are off a 1994 CBR600 F2. Any ideas?
First, you screw them in counting the turns until they seat gently and write them down.
Then simply unscrew them. A spring and a very small washer should fall out as well so watch for them.
Installing them is just a matter of seating them fully in and then counting the turns as you back them out to where you want them. I don't have a manual but would try 2.5 turns out if you can't get specifics.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Thank you Blade but do i need a certain type of tool to take them out?
Just a small, straight-sided flat-bladed screwdriver.
Is there some reason you think you need something else?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Well during inspection of the carbs i didn't see a clot for the screwdriver. but i could be very wrong

It will be probably be quite deep in a hole in the bottom of the carb perhaps a quarter-inch round.
It's possible the hole may be plugged with a non-interferance cap or silicone or grease to prevent corrosion.

·
Registered
434 Posts
CBR600 f2 carbs do not have slots for the idle air screws. They have a special d-shaped type screw head that is suppose to help stop people from making an adjustment do to emissions guidelines. You will need to make a tool or you can go to factory pros web page and order one.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
CBR600 f2 carbs do not have slots for the idle air screws. They have a special d-shaped type screw head that is suppose to help stop people from making an adjustment do to emissions guidelines. You will need to make a tool or you can go to factory pros web page and order one.
Good stuff, R5C :)
Is it as simple as grinding a flat on the side of a bolt?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Good stuff, R5C :)
Is it as simple as grinding a flat on the side of a bolt?
Here is a pic of what the tool from factory pro looks like. In the pic it is hard to make out the D shape but you can see at the top of the tool the flat side of the D. The D shaped head fits into the tool. I have one because it came with my jet ket. It works much better than the one that comes with the Dyno Jet kit. This tool also works for CBR900's as well. This was Hondas way of getting around installing brass plugs over the screws.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Here is a pic of what the tool from factory pro looks like. In the pic it is hard to make out the D shape but you can see at the top of the tool the flat side of the D. The D shaped head fits into the tool. I have one because it came with my jet ket. It works much better than the one that comes with the Dyno Jet kit. This tool also works for CBR900's as well. This was Hondas way of getting around installing brass plugs over the screws.

I do actually have a set of 900RR carbs here but I never had any cause to notice those before.
I love learning stuff!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I took my carbs down to the shop that I ordered my kits from and they let me use their D-tool so that I didn't have to purchase one.
Yea! Timme Honda!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
The carbs used on the Canadian model F2 (VP40AA) don't need a d-tool, just a small screw driver...Weird, but it makes it easy for me.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
The carbs used on the Canadian model F2 (VP40AA) don't need a d-tool, just a small screw driver...Weird, but it makes it easy for me.

Maybe somebody already replaced them?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts