Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I have 1991 honda CBR 600 F2, This bike does have a manual idle adjustment knob on the side of the bike. So the problem is after starting and warming up my bike for 15 minutes or so i adjust idle to around 1100RPM. I ride for 15 or 20 minutes and when i come to a stop my idle is down to around 600RPM. So i have to keep adjusting this when I stop at a light or a sign. I am wondering if anyone has a idea or fix. I think it may just be a loose connection since it is a bit older and maybe i should put something on the screw threads to help it from moving? I am not sure if a vacuum leak would cause the idle to constantly lower but i may be mistaken. Any help in banishing this ghost/ demon from my bike would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Bo

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,546 Posts
Hi Bo, welcome to Fireblades.org

How long has this been a problem? Is it a new problem? How long have you owned the bike?

The idle adjuster should have a spring in between it and the throttle stop on the carbs. It keeps it from loosening. That could be your problem.

You shouldn't have to warm the bike up for 15 minutes. 2-3 minutes MAX on choke, then off choke and it should stay at idle 900-1100 rpm, or whatever your manual says.

If it's not the idle adjuster, I would venture a guess your carbs are messed up on the idle/slow circuit, and they'll need a cleaning.

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
I've just replaced the complete idle control cable assembly on my F3 and Ian is right if the spring is missing, engine vibration will cause the screw to undo and the idle to drop, so firstly I'd remove the fuel tank and check.

The bad news is that I don't think the screw Spring is available separately and the complete idle cable is difficult to source, I managed to get one via David Silver Spares here in the UK for £20

However you might get lucky and a screw out of a biro may do the trick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah that spring sounds like a great step in the right direction. I have only had the bike for 4 months, It was a friends bike and he mentioned that he had a hard time starting it once (he joking stated he had the fuel shut off....) and turned the adjust too far, he said that it came all the way unscrewed. He said for me to be careful not to do it, so I need to definitely look for that spring. Guess I will be pulling the tank and air box this week! thanks for some solid great advice! I will keep updating as I progress through.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahh The whole cable huh... Well if it's missing I guess I will have to buy one (if I can find one) or see what I can do at work.

·
7,546 Posts
Yeah that spring sounds like a great step in the right direction. I have only had the bike for 4 months, It was a friends bike and he mentioned that he had a hard time starting it once (he joking stated he had the fuel shut off....) and turned the adjust too far, he said that it came all the way unscrewed. He said for me to be careful not to do it, so I need to definitely look for that spring. Guess I will be pulling the tank and air box this week! thanks for some solid great advice! I will keep updating as I progress through.
Well now, seems more and more like the spring is missing. It's possible that it's bouncing around somewhere on top of the transmission or near the starter. If the cable came out, it most likely fell off.

Keep posting!

·
Registered
20,979 Posts
ahh The whole cable huh... Well if it's missing I guess I will have to buy one (if I can find one) or see what I can do at work.
:welcome: to the .Org! Join up and be a member of the place, it's quite possible you're gonna have a few problems with ya bike ya wife ya life anything, we deal with it all here dude, you're more than welcome to stay. Let us now how you get on :thumb:
small piece of rubber tube will do the same job, all it needs to is to hold the screw in place
:plus1::wstupid:

·
7,546 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts