Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Interestings stuff, but I've been thinking about a Mac for some time now and I'm not sure a new and improved MSIE would be enough to dissuade me. No matter how good the software gets, it seems like all the malicious code the hackers write is for Gates' stuff because they're pissed off he built an empire.

It's too bad because as a rule I like MS stuff, but I think it'll be a totally different machine and OS next time around.

My layman opinion only, YMMV.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
MS: What should be done?

LTL: Easy, pop up blocker and spyware blockers. That is all. My consulting fee will be a new 1000RR. Thanks.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I have it. I still get pop-ups... :idunno:

I haven't had spyware problems though.

Edit, never had spyware on my other comps either though. I do end up fixing lots of friend's and family's computers with that shit and it is irritating.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong...

If I goto Help --> About IE

I get: Version 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2...

Is that not SP2?

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
And now I have SP2/RC2 downloading. :cool: :thumb:

Thanks SSG...

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RC2 was supposed to be pulled, since it's gold now and has already begun distribution... But it'll be sent to system with auto-update turned on, in stages, so they don't overload their servers. They suggest not running RC2 on a "production" machine. So, if it's your only machine, you may want to wait on the final one.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Be warry of WinXP SP2, it is security orientated not compatability orientated, and microsoft (at last in Australia) have said if third party software doesn't work then the manuafacturer has to fix the problem. So if you install SP2 and your favourite application doesn't work, your up shit creek without a paddle until you can get a update, free download or $ for the next version of it.

So I'd be making damn sure I can rollback the install before commiting to it.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
My company is concerned with SP2 and told us NOT to install it at this time (or when it is released). In fact, they are working with MS to produce a customized version of SP2 that will work on our machines. *eek* big brother wants to control my laptop. errrr... their laptop... but.... but... *arg* Shit breaks when they do that.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Took it back off last night. I am an admin on my machine, but there'd be hell to pay if SP2 crashed my system.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
matt232 said:
So if you install SP2 and your favourite application doesn't work, your up shit creek without a paddle until you can get a update, free download or $ for the next version of it.
am I missing something or is that how it's been since NT 4.0?
:huh:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
SomeStrangeGuy said:
am I missing something or is that how it's been since NT 4.0?
:huh:

True but I have a feeling that this one is going be be worse because Microsoft is stressing the point that if if other applications break then it isn't thier problem. Just got a bigger sense of dread, I was already concerned then I went to a talk they did for a local user group and it scared the shit out of me as a IT Support person while all the consumers were blindly clapping away.

"I've got a bad feeling about this..." If we were playing the Star Wars Drinking Game, I'd be completely off my tits by now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts