Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

If I traded my blade .. opinions please

2K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  ndj 
#1 ·
I have a 99' 900rr with 15k mi. The bike is in excellent condition
All original bodywork, new tires, chain and sprockets.
I love my bike very much and I ride it allmost everyday with really nothing to complain about, it has plenty of power and is fairly comfortable.

but recently I have had a chance to ride some of the newer breed of motorcycles, 05 zx-10, 06 R-1, 06 636, 06 zzr. And I was really amazed at how well they all ride/drive, Like I said I dont have any complaints about my bike, but all of the newer ones felt like they had alot smoother of a ride, I dont know if its because they arent so bulky feeling sitting on them, or if its the fuel injection etc, but its really made me consider trading up for a newer bike.

I know that I wouldnt be happy stepping down to a 600cc bike, allthough they ride well the 9' still has too much torque for them to handle.

Ive been told that a new gsxr 750 would overpower the bike that I have now, as well as the other honda 9xxrr bikes, is this true?

the zx-10 was alot of fun to ride, i really didnt think it was that powerful until i snapped the throttle open a little, there is a very noticable difference in it and the 900rr I have.

the r-1 sped away and curved like a cadillac, but it didnt "seem" to have the low end grunt that my bike has, maybe its cause im not used to it I dunno, but I snapped the throttle open a few times, with no surprises at all?

Maybe the answer all along is just a new honda 1k ? :)

See less See more
#2 ·
The Gixxer 750 will have more HP, but it probably won't have the low RPM grunt of that 900.

The new stuff is now like 3 generations ahead of that 900RR, it's all going to feel awesome in comparison. :thumb:

#3 ·
What are you looking for in a motorcycle? I would say definitely stick with a litre... it's hard to go back. What type of riding do you do? How much do you want to spend? I'll bet a 954 would make you pretty happy... there are a couple guys on this site selling theirs. Can't go wrong with a new 1000RR either.

#6 ·
phobiaphobe said:
What are you looking for in a motorcycle? I would say definitely stick with a litre... it's hard to go back. What type of riding do you do? How much do you want to spend? I'll bet a 954 would make you pretty happy... there are a couple guys on this site selling theirs. Can't go wrong with a new 1000RR either.
:plus1:
Regarding the GSXR-750, a buddy of mine just picked his up a few weeks ago, so I too am anxious to see how it compares to my 900. It'll have more HP, but probably just a little bit less torque--and it probably makes it at higher rpms too. It will be a lot lighter though. It is getting good reviews: http://www.motorcycledaily.com/21april06_gsxr750.htm
It seems like a good comprimise if you are considering stepping down to a 600...

#12 ·
johnnyblade said:
It needs to be a good all around bike, I use my RR for drag racing, and curve cutting. And the occasional wheelie down the road to pass all my other friends on bikes, hey im not safe on this thing at all!
Did you just simply ignore the site rules when you joined?

8: We have no tolerance for street stunters, street racers, or anyone else who gives motorcyclists a bad image. There are proper places for that type of thing, and a public street isn't one of them. Posting material which could reasonably be construed as celebrating or defending these types of activities will get you flamed, and could possibly get you banned.

#16 ·
johnnyblade said:
It needs to be a good all around bike, I use my RR for drag racing, and curve cutting. And the occasional wheelie down the road to pass all my other friends on bikes, hey im not safe on this thing at all!:smilierr:

Do you ride long distances also?
If so, the only one that comes with a trunk is the 929. If you don't ride far, get the fastest, quickest thing you can afford.

#21 ·
everyone is jealous of the trunkspace on the old 900rr's most of these newer bikes only have enough room for the tools and a manual, and a couple friends have stuffed their power commander in there.

lol thanks for the english lesson guys, i thought i was in a bike forum, silly me:clap:

#22 ·
johnnyblade said:
everyone is jealous of the trunkspace on the old 900rr's most of these newer bikes only have enough room for the tools and a manual, and a couple friends have stuffed their power commander in there.

lol thanks for the english lesson guys, i thought i was in a bike forum, silly me:clap:
About a couple of months ago. I went from a VFR to a 05 Kwak ZX6R 636. I thought that bike was truely awesome. It was a world apart from the VFR. Rapid acceleration, good ride, slick controls and so forth. Then I tested an R1 which left me cold compared to the ZX6R, which i had at the time. Then I just happen to ride past a bike shop with an 05 1000rr repsol. Took that for a test ride and was completely a world apart from my 05 ZX6R. That same afternoon I rode home on the repsol (standard) and never looked back at the ZX6R now sitting in the shop with a For Sale Sign on it.
In my opinion the CBR 1000RR is the best all rounder litre bike out there. It will do everything well. But not stand out on anything in particular. It is just an all round perfect litre bike on the market today.
Buy the CBR 1000RR, even better get a Repsol you will not regret it.

05 CBR 1000RR Repsol
PC USB
Akrapovic Exhaust Full Race System
BMC Race Filter
Flapper Mod
Pair Valve Removed
520 chain conversion
Galfer Wave discs Front & Rear
Goodridge Brake lines front & rear
Brembo brake master cyl
Brembo clutch master cyl
HRC rear brake reservior conversion
Zero Gravity Smoke Double Bubble Screen
R&G Crash protectors Full Set

#24 ·
go with th 954 you will not be disappointed they are a great all around bike, iam just a comfortable on it doing a 35 mile comute or a couple hundred mile daily ride with friends, the trunk is nice to have also. i have not rode the new 1000 but iam very happy with my 954.

#25 ·
redhotz28 said:
Pivotless... do you mean the swingarm arrangement? I haven't spent NEARLY enough time on the showroom...
Normally the swingarm pivot is sandwiched between the engine cases and the frame.

Honda decoupled the frame and used a bracket to do it. The 929 and 954 are like this, and as he says, the 954 was the best of the breed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.