Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Yep...that would hurt ya!
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always wanted to ask this question:

If you could have ONE THING and ONE THING ONLY given to you as a "gift", and there were no strings attached and no price limit....what would it be? :idunno:

·
Registered
248 Posts
No thing. (All things are temporary and illusory.)

Here's the physics:

...the world cannot be analyzed correctly into distinct parts; instead, it must be regarded as an indivisible unit in which separate parts appear as valid approximations only in the classical [i.e. Newtonian] limit.... Thus, at the quantum level of accuracy, an object does not have intrinsic properties (for instance, wave or particle) belonging to itself alone; instead, it shares all its properties mutually and indivisibly with the systems with which it interacts. Moreover, because a given object, such as an electron, interacts at different times with different systems that bring out different potentialities, it undergoes...continual transformation between the various forms (for instance, wave or particle form) in which it can manifest itself. (David Bohm, in Quantum Theory)

I wouldn't turn this down, however:

To see the world in a grain of sand
And heavens in a wildflower
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour.
(William Blake, in Auguries of Innocence)

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Barber Motorsports park. Where I would laugh at poets, philosophers and physicists until the end of my temporary and illusory life.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Funny you should ask this question... I'm in the middle of reading a book called "Stumbling on Happiness", by a guy named Daniel Gilbert. It's not a new-age self-help book, it's a book about psychological and economics research into the way people behave and decisions they make to find happiness.

The conclusion of a lot of these researchers is that because of how our brain processes the past and present, and how we imagine the future, it's virtually impossible for us to actually know what's going to make us happy. The fact is, our ability to imagine the future is pretty limited, and it looks a lot like the present. If you ask people what they want, they'll tell you based on their present life (see the answers above). However, the likelihood that you're actually going to want that thing, even 1 year in the future, is surprisingly low, because by then you'll be a different person and want different things. And it is impossible for you to imagine that future person and what will make him happy.

So, when you ask someone what the one thing is that they want, it's likely that when they get it, they'll already have changed their mind and want something else.

Short answer to your question: If I could have ONE THING, it would be, I would like to know with certainty what's going to make me happy for the rest of my life so I can do things today that are more likely to bring that about.

Oh, and also a Garmin Zumo.

--- D

1 - 20 of 57 Posts