Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this on another forum and figured id share:

If your traveling on your bike at light speed, and you turn on your high beams... do they ever illuminate the road in front of you?

its a mind tease ;) have fun

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Not sure. Guess I will have to get her wide open on the way home tonight so I can check.

I have noticed that the length of the road appears to approach zero as I approach light speed, so I guess the light doesn't have to go very much faster than the bike in order to cover the full distance.

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
:hmm:...

it's a well known fact that, at lightspeed you would have trouble thinking fast enoph :poke:

but .....

if you fitted the new diarrhea Kwick Reaction Automated Pilot system you'll be fine

As anyone whose had diarrhea will tell you....

"you can k.r.a.p. before you have time to think let alone turn the light on"
:rotfl:

SSB's old jokes recycling

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Not too much of a problem.

Answer is yes. Well sort of!
While you might be going at the same speed as photons from the headlights, they are ahead of you and in the time it takes you to move the distance forward to where your headlights are (or should I say were) those photons would also move forward. Possibly downwards a bit.
So you wont catch them - but it they hit something and reflect back you will have a chance to catch up to them.
The problem is then that you will only see reflections off things that are very close to your headlights - closer than you are to your headlights.
Any further away and the reflected light will be behind you and can never catch up.
So you probably will never see the road. But you will see the brick wall!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
interesting.

now i propose to you the fact that photons have actually been found to have a very small mass. So, in fact having turned on your headlight, with the emission of photons from that light source, you are actually slowing down and would in fact would see the road in front of you.

This is of course implying that you are not constantly increasing your speed to reach light speed and that maintain a constant forward thrust. Then, the thrust (in the opposite direction) obtained by the emission of photons will cancel some of the forward thrust. This again is assuming that your not running blinkers and brake lights and all that stuff.

I find it interesting to toss this around every now and then. There have been some theories that suggest that light speed will never actually be physically attainable, even if theory says it is... but the sci-fi person in me hopes otherwise.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Trouble is, when you exceed Warp 10 you arrive at the end of the road well before the photons were generated at the beginning of the trip.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
:hmm:...

it's a well known fact that, at lightspeed you would have trouble thinking fast enoph :poke:

but .....

if you fitted the new diarrhea Kwick Reaction Automated Pilot system you'll be fine

As anyone whose had diarrhea will tell you....

"you can k.r.a.p. before you have time to think let alone turn the light on" :rotfl:

SSB's old jokes recycling
thats awsome......:rotfl:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
interesting.

now i propose to you the fact that photons have actually been found to have a very small mass. So, in fact having turned on your headlight, with the emission of photons from that light source, you are actually slowing down and would in fact would see the road in front of you.

This is of course implying that you are not constantly increasing your speed to reach light speed and that maintain a constant forward thrust. Then, the thrust (in the opposite direction) obtained by the emission of photons will cancel some of the forward thrust. This again is assuming that your not running blinkers and brake lights and all that stuff.

I find it interesting to toss this around every now and then. There have been some theories that suggest that light speed will never actually be physically attainable, even if theory says it is... but the sci-fi person in me hopes otherwise.
you've already stated that the bike is going at light speed therefore the mass of the photons hitting the bike would be irrelevant because it's already been taken into account.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Of course your lights will illuminate the road ahead of you, the photons are travelling at relativisitic speed in relation to your speed. Now if you turned your head lights on at 1/2 the speed of light then rapidly accelerated to 2x the speed of light would you pass the light generated by your headlight when you first turned it on?

I though there had been recent changes that dispoved the theory of general relativity? After all it is just a theory. When it becomes a law let me know.

·
Registered
629 Posts
the speed of light = 299 792 458 m / s So if you travel at this speed on your bike, you get the same affect as standing still with your lights on!! I Think:bonk: so your illumintaed:hitfan: but you will need cooling dow.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts