Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of ordering the Taylor Made pipe for my 08RR. You can purchase the aftermarket ignition module for $300+. Has anyone purchased this and is it worth the $$$?

·
Registered
824 Posts
DO NOT WASTE THE MONEY...you can get very similar results with the IRC or z-bomb which both do the same thing which is eliminate the timing retard above 9500rpm...they will give you another 6-7hp peak at 100% throttle...the ignition module is only worth it if you are installing cams or changing internals, turbo etc.....the zbomb is $129 and the IRC is $59!!!!!! I went with the IRC from dynojet because it does the exact same thing as the bomb for half the price...its is good to have fuel management though because these then create a lean condition on the bike above 9500rpm...so you get the pc3 and add a value of 9 to each box 9500rpm and up at 100% throttle.....in 08 the ignition module was the only way to fix this but then bazzaz released the z bomb and dynojet followed with the IRC....Best money you can spend on HP for the 08+ Hope this helped...

·
Registered
824 Posts
all the IRC and z bomb do it modify the TPS signal above 9500 to only show the ECU 80% throttle so the ECU doesnt retard the timing and kill your HP...it is completely safe and is how the bike was originally designed to run until honda had to make the EPA happy....i couldnt believe the difference 59 bucks made up top...the bike just keeps pulling right to redline...very impressive...the ignition module is obsolete...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks #1 CBR!!!!! Did you Dyno the bike before and after the IRC? How can you be certain of the gain in HP? Dyno-Jet is claiming 6+ HP. But that never means anything.
I have also heard they throw codes in the computer systems. Have you had any negative issues with the IRC?

·
Registered
824 Posts
No issues at all with the IRC but make sure you have fuel management. The +6 hp believe it or not really does for once mean something. Il explain, the euro models of the 08+ all have about 6-8 more hp than the us version because of the EPA reg on US bikes. All this little 59 dollar wonder does is fix that problem. No i dont have a dyno of before and after but i will have a dyno run this may or june and i can do a run with it in and out just for shits and giggles but i know it works and the 6hp is definately accurate. No codes thrown on mine?? it is a really simple mechanism which is why i cant believe people are having problems...all it does it cap the signal to the ecu at 80%....there us no way thqat could throw a code...and i knew guys that got this without fuel management and they didnt even have problems but they only ran it like that for a month or so before getting a pc or bazzaz...Bazzaz actually claims 7hp while DJ claims 6+ either way that it is the one and only time a manufacturer is actaully telling the truth about gains...either way z bomb or IRC...same thing...i think the bazzaz looks a little nicer but its tucked away in your engine comaprtment regardless.....so noone sees it....and when you install DONT BOTHER LOOSENING THE AIRBOX...you can use a screwdriver to get at the TPS to unclip it and plug the IRC in....much easier...let me know if AND WHEN U GET IT and il help ya with any problems...this is one if the biggest mods for our bike...and for good reason...its the cheapest and easiest HP available...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the info!!!!

I wouldn't live anywhere else:cheers:

The TM pipe I am getting will have a pre-mapped PC. Will I need to re-map it for the IRC?

·
Registered
824 Posts
you wont need a complete remapping because it only affects the bike at 100% throttle and above 9500rpm...so what you will do is add a value of 9 to each box from 9500 and up for the 100% throttle column..so if the taylormade map has a value of +6 for 10000rpm you will make it 15....12000rpm if it is -4 you will make it 5....the pre made maps work ok but if you really want to see good power get it custom tuned or get the auto tune if you have the PCV...im running a premade map right now too but i am going to get the auto tune soon i think...

·
Registered
824 Posts
well if its a power commander coming with it then it is either the PC3 or PCV and neither will come with the auto tune module...you would have to buy that separetly and it only works with the PCV..so just hope that thats the one ur getting with the pipe...the auto tune is about $200 extra...not quite as good as a custom tune but close enough...a pre made map is ok too though...better than no fuel management at all...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts