Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01' Honda CBR929RR.. At the beginning of the spring I needed a new battery... I purchased a cheap battery on Amazon and when I installed it the battery was dead.. Thinking the battery was good I went looking for other problems.. A few people suggested the R/R. sure enough the R/R plug was all black and melted. I replaced the R/R (which I had to rewire and hope I did so the right way). Still three bike would not start... I decided to purchase a high end yusa battery. Once installed my bike fired right up.. However more two weeks later while out and about I ran into the store to green a few things, Webern I came out my bike did not have enough juice to start my bike!... Does anyone have a clue what the problem might be. could it be the stater? How do I test the stater? Thank you all for your help in advance!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Ok a question for ya. When you turn on the ignition do all the lights work?? When I say that I mean on a charged battery. If you have lights does the bike turn over?? If so it's not the starter. Honestly to me it sounds like a charging issue. Have you tested the charging system to see if it's working properly??

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Another thing you can do is charge up the battery and see if you can get it started. Once you do pop the seat off and rev it up and see if it's hitting 14 volts. I should be right around there. If not then the stator is probably shot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx guys for the info.. As soon as I get a day off I'll be doing done testing and report back.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Thanx guys for the info.. As soon as I get a day off I'll be doing done testing and report back.
Sounds good. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I did some testing and this is what I came up with
Off 12. 82 v
On idle 12.6 v
Rev 5k 12.2v
Idle 12.2 v
R/R warms up
Off 12.64v
when I first revd it it jumped to 17v then dropped to12.2. I also noticed a little burnt mark on one of yellow wires from the stator plug. Im not to sure how to test the stator.. What setting do i put the meter on? Where does the red and black prong go?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
At idle you should have around 13 volts, at 5k you should be seeing 14+.

Stator test:

Also, put the multimeter on AC voltage, and see what the voltage between the yellow cables is with the bike running. You should see around 50 volts or more.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I was able to test the stator while the bike was off. There was no change in the meter. I tried to test the stator while the bike was on however the bike would not start while the gas tank was disconected. does everyone still agree the stator is the problem?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Depends what voltage the stator puts out while it's running. :)

·
Registered
946 Posts
stator. had the same issue on a couple bikes including my 929. Seems to be typical on bikes I have seen that on several forums with many bikes. The regulator could be bad too but slightly less likely.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sky91, I can't access the stator wires while the bike is running. The bike will not run when the gas tank is removed.
Doomwitha929,.thank you fire you're input. I replaced the R/R a couple weeks ago hoping that was the problem. Looks like I'm going to have to replace the stator.. The cheapest I've seen them was on Amazon for $116, have you guys seen them cheaper?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Sky91, I can't access the stator wires while the bike is running. The bike will not run when the gas tank is removed.
Doomwitha929,.thank you fire you're input. I replaced the R/R a couple weeks ago hoping that was the problem. Looks like I'm going to have to replace the stator.. The cheapest I've seen them was on Amazon for $116, have you guys seen them cheaper?
At that price that's a pretty darn good deal. There aren't many new ones out there for that price.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sigh, so I replaced the stator and the regulator and still the same problem only now my stator cap is leaking oil... I have no idea what to do.. Maybe I'll bring it to the garage or just sell the F'n thing!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Since I won't be so bold as to suggest you check your main fuse perhaps you should test for continuity from the clip that goes onto your rectifier to the live terminal for your battery. It would be a dramatic and expensive choice to sell over such a silly little problem since an existing electrical fault is going to bottom your asking price out. It has to be alternator, rectifier or some cable or clip between from what you're describing ... Be patient and thorough

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So i tested the stator and got close to 5 on each wire... My meter was set at 200v. Doors this mean the stator is fine? My r/r gets really hot. Could this be a sign that power is getting to it but its not converting the ac current into DC current? I just replaced the r/r as my first suspect to this issue maybe i got a bad one?

·
Registered
240 Posts
So i tested the stator and got close to 5 on each wire... My meter was set at 200v. Doors this mean the stator is fine? My r/r gets really hot. Could this be a sign that power is getting to it but its not converting the ac current into DC current? I just replaced the r/r as my first suspect to this issue maybe i got a bad one?
Got 5 what? between where? your meter was set to ac or dc?

with the connections open, 3 yellow wires disconnected, and the motor running. You should get 50-70 volts ac between each winding and all 3 should be similar. also no continuity to the main frame of the bike from any winding.

also check out similar threads there are many on this site

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My meter was set to 200v ac, that's the lowest it goes for ac. And 5v which converts to 50v i believe. The stator writes were connected to the regulator during testing and bike was on

·
Registered
240 Posts
My meter was set to 200v ac, that's the lowest it goes for ac. And 5v which converts to 50v i believe. The stator writes were connected to the regulator during testing and bike was on

OK, sounds to me as 5v means 5 volts. pull the connecter and try again.
it will be low when loaded. was it the same between each pair?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I only got a 5 volt reading because the meter was set to 200 volt. if it was set for 100 volts it should read 50 volts right... Am i confusing you? If i test my battery and have the meter set to 100 it would read 1.2 volts instead of 12 volts...

Does this conversion not work for ac? Should the meter still read 50volts even if the meter was set high at 200 volts?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts