Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently I’ve been doing a lot of head scratching over what I actually feel now about biking. I was not alone apparently, IanD has even had his bikes up for sale. Partly it had to do with the fact that here in Holland there is very little left in terms of roads where you can really enjoy a sports bike, and I now know all the decent roads, so it’s very much like a trackday in the sense that you know what’s coming up, and it can get boring. On top of that the increasing amount of restrictions, the latest we heard is that the dutch police are now going to start using unmarked cars with GPS equipment specifically targeting people who don’t conform to the recently introduced (to save the planet) nationwide speed limit of 60mph.

But.

Last week I decided to do a long trip to Germany, via Luxembourg. In Luxembourg you can just dive into the landscape, get lost, and use Google Maps navigator whispering in your ear to get you out. There is not a bad road in Luxembourg, and after a couple of hours my biking energy was again fully charged. Then I went on to the Mosel district in Germany, ending up finally in the wine district south of Frankfurt, where I stayed overnight with friends, and whizzed home on Saturday up the autobahn.

All day Sunday I had this afterglow, and it’s still there today, it keeps popping into my head, the landscape, the feeling of getting to know how the road will unfold, the occasional kneedown when you get a glorious bend that you can see all the way through.

Even if it’s only a once-a-year trip, it makes it all worth it. And the bike (929). What a sweetheart. Not a drop of oil used, not a missed beat, not a single aching muscle on Sunday, in fact some aches and pains I had before the trip had disappeared by the time I got home. So I’m not stopping.

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
^^^
Damn. You've just made me want to go for a ride!!:D

I never have such thoughts of giving up. I enjoy even slow roads, but will sometimes (often?) take the risk of exceeding limits. I guess we all take such risks. For me, I can't imagine my stage of life with a bike (or bikes) and evn recently have been looking at buying a cheap tourer like a Honda Deauville for some extended trips I wouldn't want to do on my sports bikes.

I guess we all come to 'crossroads' of some type many times in life. It then becomes a matter of which direction to take - and THAT is where we are all different.(y)

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,096 Posts
I know exactly what OldB is talking about. I was riding early this year, in April, which I haven’t done in YEARS. Then COVID, and kept riding. Then 90f for 2 months. NO RIDING.

I can’t say that tossing in the towel is for everyone, and having a great biking experience to confirm you want to keep at it is great! I’m just ready for a new chapter in my book of excitement. I wish I could sell these boat anchors.........good for nothing right now 😱😂❤🤪

I do wish I could move them on, but I still love to look at them.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
hey there! nice post Ole B, I sold my beloved 929 a little while back....it seems that in this day and age there are less sport bikes around and even less considerstion for the enthusiast on the road in my area of Ontario. I felt that with every ride I had more close calls than ever with people texting and not paying attention.....the monicker ‘ride like people are trying to kill you‘ became the overeaching theme replacing my enjoyment. After 30 years of sportbike riding I abruptly stopped after a pleasing country ride with a good pace, minimal traffic and a big smile. I will never say never to owning another bike but for now I have no regrets as it was thousands of miles of great memories, sorry to hijack your thread fella! ;)

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,096 Posts
Wow Ox, certainly thought you went into the abyss of “Never coming back to this forum” 😉. Glad to see you still remember your log in 😂👍🏻😎

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey there! nice post Ole B, I sold my beloved 929 a little while back....it seems that in this day and age there are less sport bikes around and even less considerstion for the enthusiast on the road in my area of Ontario. I felt that with every ride I had more close calls than ever with people texting and not paying attention.....the monicker ‘ride like people are trying to kill you‘ became the overeaching theme replacing my enjoyment. After 30 years of sportbike riding I abruptly stopped after a pleasing country ride with a good pace, minimal traffic and a big smile. I will never say never to owning another bike but for now I have no regrets as it was thousands of miles of great memories, sorry to hijack your thread fella! ;)
Hijack? No, you're right on point. There are balancing sets of factors in everyone's heads, and they are all different. I agree with the riding attitude that everyone is out to kill you, perhaps through neglect or stupidity or ineptitude, but it's there and we have to decide to accept it or avoid it. Personally, I feel that learning to decipher the body language of cars (and hence the state of mind, or lack of it, of the drivers) is a skill that is worth learning, and every ride teaches you more. No guarantees, of course, and it might just be your number that comes up when a truck driver has a heart attack and slews right across the group of vehicles with you in the middle. You might also be struck by lightning, and I fancy the odds are similar. I don't plan to avoid going out in thunderstorms, but I would avoid dancing naked under trees in the rain with a carbon fibre fishing rod in my hand when a storm is around. That for me would be like riding every road bend at the limit, and full throttle on freeways regardless of traffic. For me it simply boils down to the fact that on balance, I feel I get more benefit out of motorcycling than bad feelings about the possibilities of something going wrong. And we all know that if you focus on something negative that you don't want, like looking at a rock or tree in a bend because you want to avoid them, that's what you tend to hit.

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
^^^

Well said and represents my point of view in its entirety.

I shall not miss out now on what I missed out on in the family and child-rearing days.(y)

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
^^^

Well said and represents my point of view in its entirety.

I shall not miss out now on what I missed out on in the family and child-rearing days.(y)
Oddly enough both of our kids are away for school and now I decide to move on...who knew....... lmfao!!!, just playing a lot of golf and guitar this summer was great, I am still looking at picking up a 1984-85 Nighthawk 750S which was my first bike, getting nostalgic in my old age!!!😥😄

1 - 9 of 9 Posts