Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was checking the valves over the weekend. Didn't think I put too much power behind the lossening the valve cover bolts (so I thought) but low and behold 3 of the 4 bolts snapped!!:thumbd:

I know i have to tap the 3 holes to remove the remaining part of screws still left in. Any idea what size drill bit to use and is there anyway I can do the job myself of removing these or do i have to go to the stealship so they can properly remove the motor to get to the snapped screws ends.

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks
YellRR

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
You snapped the bolts that hold down the valve cover? Wow, I'm suprised the bolts didn't strip the aluminum head before snapping the bolts. Is there a stub of the bolt still sticking out? If so, you should be able to back it out with a vice grip. Otherwise there's the option of the EasyOut. Good luck.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those bolts have a wider width 3/4 of the way down the bolt (just before where the threading starts for the bolt). The bolts snapped just below this width. And each of the damn bolts more or less snapped in the same place? :huh:

My shop talk is a bit rusty, pls explain "Easyout"

Thanks
YellowRR

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
'EasyOuts," how to explain, hmmm. Let me do a search. Found a link to explain the whole process. Here it is: http://www.crustyquinns.com/tech/easyout.html

I'm still suprised to hear this has happend. I've had my motor in and out several times with no problems. Also quite suprised to hear the bolts would break before the threads would strip out. Not sure which is worse. Is it possible to get a vice grip on them? If you do use an easyout, be sure to get all the drill filing out before reassembly (you probably already know this).

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts