Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I parked my bike and using my left hand reached across to turn the key off when one finger clipped ( very lightly ) the corner of the LP V2 and the whole piece broke off!!!!!

Basically it broke from where the bubble starts ( on the top ) to one inch after the last bolt which holds the windscreen.

It was a clean break, absolutely no stress or stretch marks at all. WTF made this thing so brittle???

I'm going back to the shop that i bought it from ( only got it a couple of months ago ) and showing them the break. Somebody's gonna take care of this one way or the other.

Whats the warranty for LP on these things anyways??

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
It was for that exact reason I went with the Zero Gravity Double Bubble. Way too many responses just like yours (quite a few threads on the old site). Man, that bites - sorry dude. Also read about screen burning the tac. Go with the ZG.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Mine did the same thing when it was dropped in the trailer (the screen didn't hit anything, I guess the sudden stop just caused it to fall off). I switched to Zero Gravity after that (already had a ZG on the RC and it seemed better made). I wouldn't go with the LP screens because of how brittle they are.

Edit: FYI, the 929 has now been through 2 crashes. The first one caused the screen to crack down in the mounting area but that is it. The 2nd one had the bike up on the tank for a short while sliding down the pavement. There are some scuff marks on the screen from where it contacted the pavement, but nothing is broken off of it. I will add that the first getoff which cracked the screen was at 100MPH. Had it been an LP it probably would have shattered into a bunch of pieces. As it is now, I just stuck some black duct tape over the cracked area and continue to use it (it works fine and isn't going to fall off or anything).

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx for the responses. I wish i knew this earlier, i would have gone with the ZG

Well i'm gonna try my luck with the shop that i bought it from.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Powerbronze and Pyramid are even stronger screens, as thick as OEM. For some reason the American companies are lacking.

·
Registered
224 Posts
After mine broke I went with the non bubble version which is of OEM thickness. There's not a big difference in wind protection (that I can tell), and the screen is tinted which is what I was really after.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Wow.. I'd banged the corner of my ZG/DB a bunch of time and just flexed, then went about it's business of keeping the bugs off my tank bag.  Sucks man.

I'll keep that in mind before I shell out for an LP screen in the future.  Sorry it happened.

Edit: fixed glaring typo (even I noticed it)

·
Registered
272 Posts
same as everyone else...I have had THREE!!!! THREE LP windscreens...but the other 2 broke for other reasons...my last one..same as you, just snapped off.

went ZERO GRAVITY...and no more problems. LP windscreens suck.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
oh man that sux...I used to have a LP screen on the F3, went to zero after that, not too sure why...just did. I guess I made the right move!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Carefull. The ZG will also toast your tack face plate. One solution is to put a strip of tape on the back side of the wind shield along the bend for the double bubble.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ended up using the optional taller OEM screen on my 929 which a buddy of mine picked up in Europe for me. The screen was not available stateside.  It is thick and has the bottom darkened like the original screen. it is 4' taller the the original screen. If you search the old threads you will see my postings (part numbers, etc). You can see an old pic here:

OEM taller screen

- Walt

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I broke a V2 also when I lowsided at the track. Not sure if I hit it with my chest or it broke when the bike hit the ground softly. It was a soft enough lowside that the paint never hit the ground. I replaced it with another and no problems yet. Bumped it several times with no problems.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
john954rr : Carefull. The ZG will also toast your tack face plate. One solution is to put a strip of tape on the back side of the wind shield along the bend for the double bubble.
Are you talking about putting tape along the creases around 'the bubble' or just along the top edge?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WOW i'm really not alone on this one.

So what happened after that?? Did you people get a replacement from LP, or just bought another windscreen??

·
Registered
883 Posts
I'm with Red, just installed an MRA double bubble and I'm wrapped.
The build is quality all the way, has good flex and most important I had heard nothing but good things about them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts