Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a Bimota sb6, which is currently in Texas. It is not recognized as a legal bike here. The only way to get it into the county as far as I know, is to bring it into the county in pieces,assemble it,and declare it as a homebuilt to have it legal for the road.If anyone has any more info. on this it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey old954guy,
I can't offer any info right now, but a buddy of mine is lusting over a Moto Guzzi Daytona and he is running into the same importing/regestration problems. Keep us updated on how you make out and I will pass on anything that my bud finds out.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
That seems to be the only way to do it.

A local guy here sells all manor of grey-market bikes (like his gorgeous 998R and the RS250 Priller he just sold a buddy of mine).

I won't say I have a good understanding of the process but he said the way they do it is exactly how you describe. Ship in parts, re-build and then get it licensed that way.

Having seen his NSR250, the RS250 and the Gamma (that all have stree registration) he must know what he is doing.

Good luck with it. I wish it was not such a pain to do stuff like this becaue I've always jones over NSR250's and stuff like that but getting one around here is damn near impossible..

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Niagara Falls is only ~3hrs from Cleveland. I'd be willing to store the bike for you, you can come ride it anytime you like

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ND4SPDSHO : Niagara Falls is only ~3hrs from Cleveland.  I'd be willing to store the bike for you, you can come ride it anytime you like
Thanks for the offer:cheers: nd4spd.But after I get it here it will not take three hours for me to come and visit. This was the first production bike to do 200 mph ya know. Anyway I have just located a guy who just brought the same bike in from England, so hope to get some strait answers on this subject. I will let you all know any info, and the process involved as I proceed.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Ride it in from Texas. Then once you get home register it as a home built. Forget the shipping, just tell customs it's your bike and show them the bill of sale (conveniently dated several months earlier). Better yet, trailer it in with race numbers on it. Then register it as a home built.

·
Registered
682 Posts
This thread only goes to prove that buying a m/c from another country & trying to get it into Cdn is not like back in the late 40s & early 50s. Times have changed GREATLY.

As one that use to import one to several to several dozen m/cs into Cdn I noticed the changes coming about & have tried to warn people only my voice lands on deaf ears.

Sorry to hear about your situation, but you should have enquired around a bit & YES it is different to those that purchase a bike in Cdn & bring it into the States for EACH country has its own crazy sets of rules & maze of red tape.

Reminds me of a chap that bought h/gun from a sort of friend (why will not give him the money back) in the States only to be halted at the border & was raising stink not realizing that was 100% illegal & even more so as he did not have a Possession & Acquisition License nor did he belong to a gun club & either of the two would pointed out to him this was not legal & even now one cannot send in a h/gun to a pistolsmith to have it modified & then sent back. Laws & Rules are continually changing not to mention the maze of red tape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts