Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I need to get a replacement urgently, as I've just been put on probation for 12 months after doing all my points.

Need to ride Harry Citizen from now on, so fixing everything on bike.

Could someone kindly point me in the right direction to find a replacement 1998/9 indicator switch block, as they are discontinued and I can't find one anywhere.

If anyone has another idea: i've heard that an auto-electrician could install a universal alternative for me. Is this right? how do I get one?

I'm not at all mechanically-minded (I'm a mathematician in training and a snake-handler with below average mechanical skills:eyebrows: )

Thanks in advance for any help.
godfreysown

·
Registered
791 Posts
What's the fault? maybe you can fix or rewire it.

If not then the left handlebar switch is the same on all years 92-99. Can't be that hard to find?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the fault? maybe you can fix or rewire it.

If not then the left handlebar switch is the same on all years 92-99. Can't be that hard to find?
Thanks Amorti.
Sweet! I was told by the mechanic who normally takes care of my bike that he had been unable to find that particular year part. But what you say makes me hope I can find a part to do the job.

It is definitely the switch as I the flasher has been replaced and 2 new indicators and the wiring checked by auto-sparky.

I'll make my search wider.

thanks again mate,
godfreysown

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yebbut, what's the fault?

If the switch does nothing at all - you can eliminate the switch by crossing the wires at the connector block, then you know if the switch itself is faulty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yebbut, what's the fault?

If the switch does nothing at all - you can eliminate the switch by crossing the wires at the connector block, then you know if the switch itself is faulty.
I hit the indicator and no response; sometimes, a full 5 mins later, the indicator comes on.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I hit the indicator and no response; sometimes, a full 5 mins later, the indicator comes on.
A weird one, I would expect it to fail completely.

Get to the connector blocks and use a test wire to force power into the indicator circuit, if this works and lights a steady flashing indicator then yes it's the switches. If not then it's not!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A weird one, I would expect it to fail completely.

Get to the connector blocks and use a test wire to force power into the indicator circuit, if this works and lights a steady flashing indicator then yes it's the switches. If not then it's not!
Thanks man, really appreciate it, but you are talking to someone who is sub-standard mechanically! I wouldn't even know how to begin to do what you have just suggested.

But, you have given me heart by that all-important datum: "the indicator switch blocks for all blades from 92-99 are the same" !! yippity-yeah! that should make it possible to find one at a wreckers online, which is what i'm trying to do right now.

Yes, it really *is* weird: just went and tested it again: if I hold indicator pressed across either side for 5 seconds, sometimes she comes back to life, sometimes not.

:idunno:

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Open the switch up. Clean it very well, using WD40 to flush the gum, stuff and corruption out of it.
Then smile at all the money you just saved.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks man, really appreciate it; will give it a go tomorrow, though it has just been gone over by auto-electrician who disassembled it and told me it was worn. I *assume* he did the basic things like cleaning it, but will nevertheless do this 2mro and c if i can't save a pile.

thanx again,
godfreysown

·
Registered
791 Posts
Even if he's a good guy the modern mechanic's way I often just to replace worn stuff. He's more interested in his time than your money. This stuffs easy, have a look yourself. Start on the principle it's already broke and you can't make it worse than broke!

Take the RHS fairing trim off to get at the connector blocks. Identify the one for left switches, its the biggest one. Cross (I think!) black/brown and orange/white. You can check in a wire diagram or someone here can confirm. That should start one side flashing. I think the other is blue/white. Black/brown refers to a wire which is black with a brown stripe!

Indie switches need following extra caution: use only a well fitting screwdriver on all screws. Get the locating peg into the bar before tightening anything. The actual left/right/off mechanism ha a small spring so disassemble careful on a clean bench after observing in detail how it fits together, take pictures if you can.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts