Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning,

Little bit of an odd one for you. I posted a little while ago about brake lights and indicators not working properly (that was my fault), but this is different. Bike went for the MOT yesterday (failed on rear brake not working properly). However the tester did say they had a problem with the indicators but they worked fine when they tested them again.

When I got it home I had a look. While the bike isn't running but the key is turned to the 'on' position the indicators will work fine. However, when the bike is running the indicators will only work if the lights are on. Now I have never noticed this before as I always have my lights on.

Any idea what this could be and where to start looking.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Forgot the relay on yours is only 3 pin ,so cant swap it with another ,but here's a test you can do to make sure at least the relay is OK, if it is have a look at your aftermarket indicator wiring and resisters , looks like their only getting a live feed through the lights switch when turning on

Attachments

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,155 Posts
Morning,

Little bit of an odd one for you. I posted a little while ago about brake lights and indicators not working properly (that was my fault), but this is different. Bike went for the MOT yesterday (failed on rear brake not working properly). However the tester did say they had a problem with the indicators but they worked fine when they tested them again.

When I got it home I had a look. While the bike isn't running but the key is turned to the 'on' position the indicators will work fine. However, when the bike is running the indicators will only work if the lights are on. Now I have never noticed this before as I always have my lights on.

Any idea what this could be and where to start looking.

Thanks.
I’m still hung up on “lights on, lights off”.

How do you manipulate your lights to turn them off while the bike is running?

·
8,155 Posts
Not sure I follow? You can turn the lights on and off while the bike is running.
Not in the US my friend, law here requires lights on all the time, no on off switches for us. Lights on with key switch and stay on. I guess that explains it.

I thought maybe you had an aftermarket light switch that may have interfered with your wiring.

I guess there could still be a problem with that circuit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not in the US my friend, law here requires lights on all the time, no on off switches for us. Lights on with key switch and stay on. I guess that explains it.

I thought maybe you had an aftermarket light switch that may have interfered with your wiring.

I guess there could still be a problem with that circuit.
Really? Well, yeah we have a switch on the handlebar that turns the lights on and off. I'm gonna try and look at the relay tomorrow, I need to sort out the rear brake as it failed it's MOT for the rear brake not working properly.

It might be something to do with the wiring I guess, if I can't see anything obvious will have to take it in somewhere at some point.

·
8,155 Posts
Really? Well, yeah we have a switch on the handlebar that turns the lights on and off. I'm gonna try and look at the relay tomorrow, I need to sort out the rear brake as it failed it's MOT for the rear brake not working properly.

It might be something to do with the wiring I guess, if I can't see anything obvious will have to take it in somewhere at some point.
What was the problem with the brake light? Sometimes the switch for the rear foot pedal needs adjustment. It may be “on all the time”, then it would appear that the front lever doesn’t activate it either (because it’s already on), and sometimes the switch for the rear goes bad, or the wires get eaten by critters.

Make sure both switches work properly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What was the problem with the brake light? Sometimes the switch for the rear foot pedal needs adjustment. It may be “on all the time”, then it would appear that the front lever doesn’t activate it either (because it’s already on), and sometimes the switch for the rear goes bad, or the wires get eaten by critters.

Make sure both switches work properly.
The brake failed the roller test on the MOT (It didn't stop the rollers). I just need to bleed the back brake again, obviously didn't do it well enough the first time, damn thing.

·
8,155 Posts
Ah, ok, I was getting confused with the lights not working, but it’s actually the braking power itself. I’m on the same page now :wink

1 - 11 of 11 Posts