Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Ever since I've started doing faster road riding and track-days, the brakes on my 929 don't feel as good as they used to... I've changed to SS braided brake lines at the front, changed the OEM pads to EBC HH and also changed the standard brake fluid to Motul RBF600!

The problem is that they don't seem to have a lot of "initial bite" or the stopping power they should have, which on track-days doesn't give me the confidence to approach a corner faster.

I've ridden other bikes with EBC HH pads + braided lines and the feeling is totally different....massive bite and near wheel locking stopping power!

I've been told that it might be the discs which are heavily coated with the material from the OEM pads and they need scrubbing with sand paper...could this be true?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I've been told that it might be the discs which are heavily coated with the material from the OEM pads and they need scrubbing with sand paper...could this be true?
The discs do pick up residue from the pads and changing the pad brand or material can certainly cause problems if the discs aren't thoroughly cleaned.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Try the 954 master cylinder perhaps.
It has a bigger bore to increase power and bite at the cost of some feel over the 929.
If the caliper pistons are dirty and the brakes are dragging they'll run hotter which will also reduce feel and power.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Brake cleaner and steel wool should be sufficient.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i wouldnt use steel wire wool , it fragments and get in everwhere , and could be alittle harsh !!

Use fine went n dry paper 800 or 1200 grit

Have you go tthe heat shields fitted on your EBC pads?

Also if you have boiled your fluid , it will need changing again !!

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
i wouldnt use steel wire wool , it fragments and get in everwhere , and could be alittle harsh !!
Steel wool is fine. It does fragment a bit but there's nowhere for it to get into on discs.
I guess it could be harsh if you forget that you're only _cleaning_ the discs :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Steel wool is fine. It does fragment a bit but there's nowhere for it to get into on discs.
I guess it could be harsh if you forget that you're only _cleaning_ the discs :)
get any fragments near or in your caliper pistons seals, and you will notice the effect of using wire wool !!

Ive seen it myself :thumbd:

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I was assuming you'd remove the discs from the wheel to clean them as trying to do them on the bike (or even on the wheel) would be pretty difficult if not simply impossible.
You're quite right though that I should have specified that :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts