Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed Goodridge braided lines and EBC HH pads on my 954 last week. Right after i installed everything i noticed the brake lever felt a little mushy. I took the bike to VIR this weekend and even the tech inspector commented on the feel. On the track the brakes felt fine but i didnt notice much change in braking power... i was expecting better considering i did both lines and pads.

Am i missing something? There doesnt seem to be any air in the lines. I used clean DOT 4 brake fluid. I followed the procedure i've been follwing when bleeding lines before.

P.S. the front wheel doesnt seem to be spinning as freely as before when on the stand. this may be my imagination though. with one good hard push i cant get the wheel to turn 360 degrees.

thanks for the help,
ger

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Make sure that the axle spacers are seated properly. I just went through this same scenario when I pulled my wheels to have new rubber installed recently. VERY mushy lever and a lot of brake drag until I aligned things properly.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bacchus : Make sure that the axle spacers are seated properly.  I just went through this same scenario when I pulled my wheels to have new rubber installed recently.  VERY mushy lever and a lot of brake drag until I aligned things properly.
I didnt touch the front wheel though.

Well, i did when i put on new tires but that was before the brake upgrade. Before the brake upgrade my brake lever felt fine, only now is it mushy.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Yeah, sounds like air in the system to me...

And those EBC's will drag like a mofo, thats normal.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Yep, I concur with G-Force. Since you didn't pull the front wheel I think that air in the lines is the culprit also.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
G-Force Junkie : Probaly still air in the system somewhere.  Do you have a banjo bleeder bolt at the master cylinder?  Its a must have to bleed them thoroughly.
Do you mean what i would buy at speedbleeder.com, the bolts that go on the calipers, or are you talking about something else?

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
The banjo bolt that bolts the two stainless lines to the mastercylinder, youput it on with three crush washers. If your bolt looks like THIS, you need to get one that has a bleeder installed through the center of it. If there is air way up there, you will never get it out trying to pump it all the way down and through the calipers.

Mike

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
G-Force Junkie : The banjo bolt that bolts the two stainless lines to the mastercylinder, youput it on with three crush washers.  If your bolt looks like THIS, you need to get one that has a bleeder installed through the center of it.  If there is air way up there, you will never get it out trying to pump it all the way down and through the calipers.

Mike
The 954's banjo bolt is by the lever, the resevoir is way up next to the windscreen.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
gerry : Quote (G-Force Junkie @ Nov. 19 2003, 2:13am)The banjo bolt that bolts the two stainless lines to the mastercylinder, youput it on with three crush washers.  If your bolt looks like THIS, you need to get one that has a bleeder installed through the center of it.  If there is air way up there, you will never get it out trying to pump it all the way down and through the calipers.

Mike
The 954's banjo bolt is by the lever, the resevoir is way up next to the windscreen.
He doesn't mention the reservoir, he correctly names the master cylinder if you reread the post.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
abtech : Quote (gerry @ Nov. 19 2003, 4:33am)Quote (G-Force Junkie @ Nov. 19 2003, 2:13am)The banjo bolt that bolts the two stainless lines to the mastercylinder, youput it on with three crush washers.  If your bolt looks like THIS, you need to get one that has a bleeder installed through the center of it.  If there is air way up there, you will never get it out trying to pump it all the way down and through the calipers.

Mike
He doesn't mention the reservoir, he correctly names the master cylinder if you reread the post.
Myabe i'm just confused as to what the master cylinder is.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
The master cylinder is the unit usually directly connected to the lever.  It consists of a plunger mechanism that pushes fluid (supplied by the system with backup in the reservoir) into the lines.  It is a small tunnel with seals and a plunger feeding the banjo bolt junction (as illustrated in the link above, although that is a combined unit with both master cylinder and reservoir in one piece)..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
abtech : The master cylinder is the unit usually directly connected to the lever.  It consists of a plunger mechanism that pushes fluid (supplied by the system with backup in the reservoir) into the lines.  It is a small tunnel with seals and a plunger feeding the banjo bolt junction (as illustrated in the link above, although that is a combined unit with both master cylinder and reservoir in one piece)..
Ahh, ok, i got a little thrown off because the unit in the pic has the resevoir and the master cylinder together.

I'm gonna see if i can successfully bleed the air at the master cylinder using the regular bleed method then bleed at the calipers. If the brake lever still feels mushy i'll go ahead and get a banjo bleeder and speedbleeders.

thx for the help all

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
This might help. If the bolt you installed, the banjo bolt, doesnt have a bleed nipple, like the ones on the calipers, installed into the end of this bolt, it will be very hard, impossable to get all the air out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
G-Force Junkie : This might help.  If the bolt you installed, the banjo bolt, doesnt have a bleed nipple, like the ones on the calipers, installed into the end of this bolt, it will be very hard, impossable to get all the air out.
Nope, no bleed nipple, the banjo bolt that came with the goodridge lines is like the stock one except it handles two lines.

Can't i just pull back the brake lever, loosen the bolt, tighten the bolt, then release the lever?

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
You could try, I wouldnt recomment it. The crush washers are one use only, although I am sure someone on the board will chime in about reusing them 100 times.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
G-Force Junkie : You could try, I wouldnt recomment it.  The crush washers are one use only, although I am sure someone on the board will chime in about reusing them 100 times.

·
Registered
925 Posts
gerry : Quote (G-Force Junkie @ Nov. 19 2003, 8:34pm)This might help.  If the bolt you installed, the banjo bolt, doesnt have a bleed nipple, like the ones on the calipers, installed into the end of this bolt, it will be very hard, impossable to get all the air out.
Nope, no bleed nipple, the banjo bolt that came with the goodridge lines is like the stock one except it handles two lines.

Can't i just pull back the brake lever, loosen the bolt, tighten the bolt, then release the lever?
You can get the bleeder/two way banjo fitting (@ the lever) for about $12 from any m/c shop--best $12 I have spent on my brakes

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
G-Force Junkie : You could try, I wouldnt recomment it.  The crush washers are one use only, although I am sure someone on the board will chime in about reusing them 100 times.
You know I won't.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts