Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i just recently did a motor swap on my 02 Cbr600f4i. After getting it all hooked up i started it an it ran nice but then had smoke coming from head gaskets that got better but still some. But then, my bike all the sudden started sounding like a card in the spoke of a tire clanking! If sitting on bike top of motor right side (head of motor). Everyone was saying cct (cam chain tensioner) but doesnt have tht higher pitch jingle rattle they described. Also read, could be because of leak in exhaust manifold? This is my first time doing a bike so please could use some imput or help...

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
I'd also say CCT, or, before the tensioner came up to pressure, the c am chain jumped a tooth and the noise you hear is valve clatter. The fact it ran okay first up is evidence something happened post start.

However, for a more specific diagnosis, did you know this motor from before or did you do any work on its internals?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately i had to buy a used 1. So dont know the history of it. But it definitely sounds like the valve is clapping hard on 1st cylinder if sitting on bike right side.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,116 Posts
First cylinder while sitting on bike on the right is number 4. That should have the cam chain and gears there. It’s possible it’s that, but as you said, that should sound like a high speed chain rattle.

Sounds more to me like you have a rod knock. Drop the oil and look for fine copper or copper shavings in the oil.

Can you post some pictures or a link to a video?

It is possible you’ve developed a leak in the exhaust by the head. Did you use new exhaust gaskets? They need to be new because they compress as you tighten them to flare out and seal. Also, I’ve seen some people forget to remove the old flattened gaskets and leave them in, which is also a no-no. Give that a look as well.

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
. . . Also, I’ve seen some people forget to remove the old flattened gaskets and leave them in, which is also a no-no.
How the heck would anyone with even an ounce of intelligence do that? Surely they're not app[lying the 'more is better' rule, or might they not even realise the old has to be removed?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts