Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed my YoYoDyne frame sliders last night, and when I removed my old Intuit frame slider from right side (throttle side) I noticed synthetic oil (recently switched) residue on threads of bolt.  I remember on the old forum someone with the same issue.  Any insight?  This is on a 929.  Visual inspection with flashlight doesn't show anything suspicous, or obivous I should say (ie., pool of oil in cavity, etc).  Odd, I didn't think there was a oilway(?) that close to that bolt?

Anyway, the YoYodyne frame slider bolt length is just a little shorter than the Intuit bolt.  The eye hook accessory is pretty slick.  I'll see if I can borrow my brother's camera to post some pics.  Good call RRWANTR!

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Is that really a good place to use to tie the bike down? Seems like a lot of leverage on the slider bolt and engine mount/hole.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
SuperDave : ...I noticed synthetic oil (recently switched) residue on threads of bolt.  .... Any insight?  
Sorry, no insight, but that would scare me shitless.

·
Registered
309 Posts
About 6 months ago, I noticed a small amount of oil weeping from the right side engine mounting bolt. I took the bike to the dealer for inspection, and a compression test was done. The bolt was not torqued to spec, but the bike checked out and the dealer did not have any answers to the leak in question.

After I got the bike home, I pulled the bolt and cleaned the bolt and threaded cavity with trichloroethane. I used an old white t-shirt to verify that cavity was completely oil free.

I have pulled the bolt twice since the cleaning, last time being last month and it is still oil free. I am left to assume that the bolt was oiled upon original assembly.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WildBillF1 : About 6 months ago, I noticed a small amount of oil weeping from the right side engine mounting bolt.  I took the bike to the dealer for inspection, and a compression test was done.  The bolt was not torqued to spec, but the bike checked out and the dealer did not have any answers to the leak in question.

After I got the bike home, I pulled the bolt and cleaned the bolt and threaded cavity with trichloroethane.  I used an old white t-shirt to verify that cavity was completely oil free.

I have pulled the bolt twice since the cleaning, last time being last month and it is still oil free.  I am left to assume that the bolt was oiled upon original assembly.  
Thanks WildBill, unfortunately the original bolt was dry (no oil) and then I installed the Intuit frame slider bolt which ended up with the oil residue.  I'm glad I am not the only one this has happened to (you and others from older threads).  Just don't quite understand the origin of the oil in that position of the motor mounts.

Pete, I thought about the tension you're referring to but I don't feel the tension of the straps to basically keep the bike from swaying, is enough to damage threads or motor mount stress (unless my truck flips over - lol).  The YoYodynes have the original finer thread (sorry, I don't know the thread size talk) and the frame slider (outside piece) has another set of  larger size threads in which the eye hook or nylon slider piece threads onto.

But Yes, it bugs me that there is oil on that bolt thread.  Right now I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Same thing on my 954 after I installed my sliders. Once I got it torqued down correctly, never happened again. I was worried as well, but once it stopped, i'm cool with it. Now that some others have experienced and even had a dealer look at it, I feel better as well.

·
Registered
682 Posts
There are a short & long bolts that come with the frame savers &
cannot recall which side uses which (did mine in '00 & no oil leaking), but wonder if the wrong ones were used on both sides, or possibly one bolt was a hair two long & punctured the alloy?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts