Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of some help

I am trying to install a steering damper but in order to do so I need to remove the nut highlighted in the picture.

What is the easiest way to do this?
what size socket do I need?
anything I need to look out for?

greatly appreciated

pic

thank you

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Yep, it's gotta come off, at least for a SCOTTS (they will have you replace the factory nut with their own which has a milled channel around the edge).

I put a SCOTTS on my 954 and IIRC the instructions told me what size socket I had to go buy. Don't recall just now, but I'm sure someone will know.

Nothing to worry about in the stem nut's removal, btw.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
it's in the tool kit that came with the bike, there is one that seems to big but once it will work, the one that you use for the rear axle. Use the extension and be carful not to scrape anything once it gets loose. Put a towel on the tank.

I removed my dampenerererer a couple of times using that tool without damaging the nut whatsoever

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
no you can't that's for shure but the guys at the dealer won't either the just tighten it hard :evilaugh: It helps if your in need that's all not everyting in this world is perfect now go wash your hands big guy :D
Chain said:
:huh:

You can't exactly retorque that nut to spec with some potmetal spanner from the tool kit, however.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you for all the replies,
I tried the tool from the kit but seemed too big and I was afraid of damaging the nut. I just tried it again but that thing is in tight, couldn't get it to move. The instructions that came with my damper (Toby) only have pictures, no written instructions.
I will give it a try again tomorrow.

Thank you

Maser

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
I think it's a 30mm socket and I used a big long handled one. When you put the damper mounting bracket on, there will probably be a tab that sits in a small slot on the triple tree. Put a small bit of grease on top of the bracket, between the bracket and the nut so the nut slides on the bracket and doesn't move it. Also hold it in place as best you can whilst tightening. On the Hyperpro mount at least, the tab on the bracket seems a bit fragile and I think some have broken it off while torqueing the nut back on. The Hyperpro mount came with a small amount of a clear axle grease type stuff and said to put it on. The torque on that steering stem nut is 76 ft lbs.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Just got the Scotts myself. I'll check tomorrow, but I think HondaGal is right (30mm.) I'd use a breaker bar to losen the stock nut and then use a torque-wrench to put the new one on.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I went out and bought a set of 3/4" drive sockets for the steering head when I put my damper on. I would seriously think about investing in tools anytime you have to do something like this (it's a good excuse to get more tools!). I put on a 3/4-1/2" adapter so I could use my 1/2 torque wrench.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I put an ** OHLIN'S **on my 954 . 30 mm sockett. Re-torqued the steering nut to 75 ft lbs. Use a Proper Sockett and Torque wrench and you won't have a Problem :thumb:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will pick up a 30 mm sockett tomorrow. I don't want any "problems" because of a half done job.

Thanks guys

Maser

1 - 12 of 12 Posts