Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious if any of you have revamped your speedometer and tachometer on the 98-99 model CBR 900rr. Below is a picture of the tach paper numbers that got warped by the sun (double bubble windscreen from hong Kong = magnifying glass) and was wondering if you guys had any ideas of how to recreate this? Or buy it if possible. Included a pic of my beauty Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
IDK but if you figure it out let us know. I have the same issue. I think it may have been due to wrong spec bulbs in the cluster, but maybe it was the DB screen. However it's black on mine so not a lens as such, but may function as a mirror?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IDK but if you figure it out let us know. I have the same issue. I think it may have been due to wrong spec bulbs in the cluster, but maybe it was the DB screen. However it's black on mine so not a lens as such, but may function as a mirror?

It is indeed the DB design. Mine was clear when i bought it! i thought something was wrong with the cluster and that maybe a wire was grounded or something. I took me a month to realize that this only started happening after i installed the windscreen and i did some research and found tons of people with different bikes and even different brand DB windscreens experiencing this. To fix it i spray painted my windscreen all black to not allow any light through. Some forums stated even smoked DB will cause burning if left out long enough!! So if you have one i would advise removing it or painting it.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
So if you have one i would advise removing it or painting it.
I sprayed my DB screen black (from the inside). Heard the stories and didn't want it happening to me either.

As for the gauges, there's probably a few aftermarket modified versions out there you could get (eg. a black on white conversion). There might be stock looking ones too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sprayed my DB screen black (from the inside). Heard the stories and didn't want it happening to me either.

As for the gauges, there's probably a few aftermarket modified versions out there you could get (eg. a black on white conversion). There might be stock looking ones too.
Do you know where I could find the after market stuff you speak of? For my windscreen it was too late it burned my gauges but I did end up doing the same, black from the inside . You can see it in my pic in op.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
It's hard for the pre-injection blades. I've had a look around and can't see any :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts