·
Registered
14,390 Posts
NDD must be thrilled.

Wonder how well it works?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Probably just as well as it works on white box PC's. I imagine the Boot Camp software is only a bootloader. Beyond that the new Intel Macs are the same arch as PC's.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ND4SPD said:
:huh: sounded cool to me. There is also some virtualization s/w to be released soon that has even more cool factor. Of course Apple's exists and usually their beta quality is decent the other company may be vaporware

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
sheepofblue said:
:huh: sounded cool to me. There is also some virtualization s/w to be released soon that has even more cool factor. Of course Apple's exists and usually their beta quality is decent the other company may be vaporware
It is cool. What isn't cool is that it's not in my budget to drop $2k on a laptop right now. However, things like this make it harder and harder to resist. Maybe I can reward myself if I don't crash this season? :hmm:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I've had it running for several weeks now (see http://www.fireblades.org/forums/showpost.php?p=440103&postcount=33). Other than the lack of EFI-based video drivers, it runs just fine.

I only need windows once in a while, so right now I only boot into it just to apply security and virus updates. :rolleyes:

OOOOOPPPs...... just now noticed you were talking about Boot Camp. Yeah, this should be even better than the old boot loader deal.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
navydevildoc said:
I've had it running for several weeks now (see http://www.fireblades.org/forums/showpost.php?p=440103&postcount=33). Other than the lack of EFI-based video drivers, it runs just fine.

I only need windows once in a while, so right now I only boot into it just to apply security and virus updates. :rolleyes:
Which brings up an interesting question. Will hackers be able to infect your 'doz and have it spread over to OS X when you reboot? :hmm:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
ND4SPD said:
Which brings up an interesting question. Will hackers be able to infect your 'doz and have it spread over to OS X when you reboot? :hmm:
Nope. Completely different architectures. It would be like having windows infect a Linux box, but even more complicated, since Windows can't even see the Mac's HFS+ file system.

·
Registered
254 Posts
  • A blank recordable CD
  • A printer for the instructions (You’ll want to print them before installing Windows, really.)
:rotfl::rotfl:Ouch. How long until you can buy one with a shiny green Windows XP COA label attatched to the side of the box?

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
literbike said:
:rotfl::rotfl:Ouch. How long until you can buy one with a shiny green Windows XP COA label attatched to the side of the box?
I don't have a Intel Mac yet but if I did I would only run the virus for two apps. Microsoft streets is nice and the only mapping software available on a Mac is poor in comparison. Also I could carry spare powercommander maps with me to the track. Otherwise I only use 'doz for games and while being paid.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
ND4SPD said:
Can they gain acces through this Boot Camp thing? Mind you, I know nothing about it besides what's posted in the above link.
Nope. The windows infrastructure doesn't even know about the MacOS installation.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Ouch... this is great. From the Apple Boot Camp page:

EFI and BIOS
Macs use an ultra-modern industry standard technology called EFI to handle booting. Sadly, Windows XP, and even the upcoming Vista, are stuck in the 1980s with old-fashioned BIOS. But with Boot Camp, the Mac can operate smoothly in both centuries.

Word to the Wise
Windows running on a Mac is like Windows running on a PC. That means it’ll be subject to the same attacks that plague the Windows world. So be sure to keep it updated with the latest Microsoft Windows security fixes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
sheepofblue said:
I don't have a Intel Mac yet but if I did I would only run the virus for two apps...
Yeah, I agree that running Windows on it could have some benefits as there are (few) certain things you can't do outside the Windows world. I just think its hilarious the way that the page words certain things about Windows.

For me though its much easer to just tap the scroll lock key twice. ;)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
So this means I could run a PC based photoshop application on the mac right?

Shouldn't there be some sort of law about this sort of thing? :)

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nhfirefighter13 said:
So this means I could run a PC based photoshop application on the mac right?

Shouldn't there be some sort of law about this sort of thing? :)
Yes you could but why :confused: Of course it does mean that it would be able to run Corel (no version on Mac I think) or Mathcad. The best part is this is a beta and will likely expand in functionality with time

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Because Mac OS's drive me insane and why would I spend another $600 for a program I already own?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts