Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so this is an interesting question. It is probably CA specific, but if it's legal here, it's probably legal in the un-occupied territories too.

I'm planning to go do a bit of shooting this morning. I'd like to ride the MV, but don't have a CWP.

So, how do I legally transport the firearm? Locked in a backpack?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,549 Posts
Isn't the requirement to have the firearm in a locked location, seperate from the ammunition, in a place where the driver cannot easily combine the two?

Sounds like a backpack with a locked (with key) gun case inside would meet that criteria.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
navydevildoc said:
Isn't the requirement to have the firearm in a locked location, seperate from the ammunition, in a place where the driver cannot easily combine the two?

Sounds like a backpack with a locked (with key) gun case inside would meet that criteria.
Yep.

Just got off the phone with Corona PD (since this ****-hole no longer has a PD).

The firearm must be in a locked container separate from the ammo. So, if I have the pistol in a locked box (like the plastic one it came in) inside a backpack, the ammo can be in the pack as long as it's not in the locked case with the pistol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,318 Posts
luvtolean said:
Yep.

Just got off the phone with Corona PD (since this ****-hole no longer has a PD).

The firearm must be in a locked container separate from the ammo. So, if I have the pistol in a locked box (like the plastic one it came in) inside a backpack, the ammo can be in the pack as long as it's not in the locked case with the pistol.
That's how it is in OH as well. Unless you have CCW, and then it still has to be (as in Conq's post) openly visible while on the bike b/c it is considered in a vehicle. The CCW laws here suck, IMO.

HD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
948 Posts
Here in AZ, you can have it loaded with one in the hole on your hip and like 1/4 inch or a 1/2 inch of the gun in plain sight WITHOUT a CCW :clap:

With a CCW you can do whatever the **** you want!

Ask Reaper too he should know the laws by heart and that Bastid has a CCW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,839 Posts
luvtolean said:
Yep.

Just got off the phone with Corona PD (since this ****-hole no longer has a PD).

The firearm must be in a locked container separate from the ammo. So, if I have the pistol in a locked box (like the plastic one it came in) inside a backpack, the ammo can be in the pack as long as it's not in the locked case with the pistol.
Yup that sounds about right. Silly CA laws.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,203 Posts
luvtolean said:
Yep.

Just got off the phone with Corona PD (since this ****-hole no longer has a PD).

The firearm must be in a locked container separate from the ammo. So, if I have the pistol in a locked box (like the plastic one it came in) inside a backpack, the ammo can be in the pack as long as it's not in the locked case with the pistol.
Thats it, locked container, ammo outside it. Alot of the the time, the plastic one that comes with the gun works fine with one of those small padlocks. Or a zippered gun rug, they usualy have a ring at the end you can snap a padlock through with the zipper end. Same rules for redgistered assult weapons. Long guns only need to be unloaded.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,549 Posts
ReaperAZ said:
Yup that sounds about right. Silly CA laws.
I don't think that's unreasonable... it's so the cop has the chance to shoot you first before you shoot him.

I suppose if you are carrying a weapon loaded in the car, you are expecting to get carjacked or something?? :idunno: I can see unlocking and then loading your weapon if you break down somewhere... but all the time?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
G-Force Junkie said:
Thats it, locked container, ammo outside it. Alot of the the time, the plastic one that comes with the gun works fine with one of those small padlocks.
Yeah, that's what I use. Only I use my Springfield box as the Beretta one doesn't have an easy spot for a lock.

Hey, how long for the edges on the 92FS to get worn enough not to tear up my hands when operating the slide? :rotfl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,179 Posts
They would have to be seperated here if you don't have a Carry Permit... Since I do have one I carry as normal when riding around town but in leathers it's kinda hard....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Getsome said:
They would have to be seperated here if you don't have a Carry Permit... Since I do have one I carry as normal when riding around town but in leathers it's kinda hard....
It's the same here. Even though they're both in a backpack, because the gun is in it's own locked container, they're considered separate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,203 Posts
luvtolean said:
Yeah, that's what I use. Only I use my Springfield box as the Beretta one doesn't have an easy spot for a lock.

Hey, how long for the edges on the 92FS to get worn enough not to tear up my hands when operating the slide? :rotfl:
Never...or break out a file :) Seriously, check out my 92G next time, its an ex PD gun and has had the piss beat out of it...and its still sharp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,203 Posts
navydevildoc said:
I don't think that's unreasonable... it's so the cop has the chance to shoot you first before you shoot him.
Its silly because if the handgun is unloaded, zipped up in a gun rug, zipped up inside your range bag, and the bag is inside the enclosed trailer that you are towing with your truck...your comitting a felony. Thats stupid. If the unloaded gun is someplace not accessable to the driver like the trunk, pickup truck bed, etc the point of having it in a locked container is moot and does nothing but hassle people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,549 Posts
G-Force Junkie said:
Its silly because if the handgun is unloaded, zipped up in a gun rug, zipped up inside your range bag, and the bag is inside the enclosed trailer that you are towing with your truck...your comitting a felony. Thats stupid. If the unloaded gun is someplace not accessable to the driver like the trunk, pickup truck bed, etc the point of having it in a locked container is moot and does nothing but hassle people.
I had always been told that the trunk was considered a locked container if you cannot access it from the car's interior. I would assume a trailer also meets this description.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
ConqSoft said:
Depends on the laws... It varies... Here in NC, it has to be clearly visible. So technically I can ride with it in a holster on my hip. As far as I know, here, if it's hidden (even locked), it's considered concealed.

In FL, from what I understand, it has to be locked up out of reach.
What if it's in the plastic case and visible?? The gun has to be out and visible? Asking so i can clarify for a friend w/ a Glock.
:patriot:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
G-Force Junkie said:
Its silly because if the handgun is unloaded, zipped up in a gun rug, zipped up inside your range bag, and the bag is inside the enclosed trailer that you are towing with your truck...your comitting a felony. Thats stupid. If the unloaded gun is someplace not accessable to the driver like the trunk, pickup truck bed, etc the point of having it in a locked container is moot and does nothing but hassle people.
Yeah, the law sucks, especially since forgetting to click a padlock can mean a F E L O N Y, when it's really a very minor "crime", hardly befitting the word.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top