Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Am new on here and have an annoying intermittent fault on my 1999 Fireblade RRX that is stopping my enjoyment of this fantastic bike.

The bike is stored in a garage on trickle charger and starts first time whenever needed BUT during a rideout and at no obvious time; distance or anything, if I stop the bike to take a picture or have a coffee, it won't restart. Symptoms are just like a flat battery, ie there doesn't appear to be enough power to start the engine. It always bump starts fine (although that is a real pain for my mates if we're on a flat bit of road !). Then, if I stop again, it will restart fine.

Has anyone else had a similar problem ? I'm thinking regulator / rectifier or stator coil connection but thought I'd check on here first, as I'm not good on the electrical side of things ! Of course, it could be something else as well, hence why I'm checking before I buy a new regulator for £78 !

Cheers for any replies.

Rob

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,271 Posts
Hi Rob, most likely the reg/rec or stator or related electrical connections are on the way out. Depending upon how many times the battery has gone flat from this will determine if battery replacement is necessary as well. A fully charged battery with the bike off should read 12.7 VDC. While the bike is running the battery should show about 13.4 VDC. The stator puts out about 50VAC on each phase (each yellow wire coming out of it), and the reg/rec should not look burned/melted, even on the inside of the connector where the spades are.

Pretty common problem. Also check the stator connection for burning/melting and the starter solenoid for same.

Sounds like the issue, ride a bit on a charged battery, drain battery while riding, can’t restart because now battery is dead from not being charged. I would replace battery as well once you can determine which electrical components are bad. Check back with your multimeter readings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rob, most likely the reg/rec or stator or related electrical connections are on the way out. Depending upon how many times the battery has gone flat from this will determine if battery replacement is necessary as well. A fully charged battery with the bike off should read 12.7 VDC. While the bike is running the battery should show about 13.4 VDC. The stator puts out about 50VAC on each phase (each yellow wire coming out of it), and the reg/rec should not look burned/melted, even on the inside of the connector where the spades are.

Pretty common problem. Also check the stator connection for burning/melting and the starter solenoid for same.

Sounds like the issue, ride a bit on a charged battery, drain battery while riding, can’t restart because now battery is dead from not being charged. I would replace battery as well once you can determine which electrical components are bad. Check back with your multimeter readings.
Awesome feedback - thanks. Will get multimeter on it now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Finished all the tests. Stator and solenoid fine. Wiring continuity checks fine. So, have gone with buying a new rectifier and battery. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts