Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've spent endless hours reading threads pertaining to starting issues for the 954...
Well here is my addition to them:
02 954rr, devil exhaust, pc3, 22k miles.
Last fall it started with a bad battery after chasing down voltage issues and such.
Even after new batter was installed, I continued to have starting issues. Sometimes it would start, other times it wouldn't. I've noticed that when it doesn't start, it will drain the battery, and after connecting tender to it (genie model) it will start even at 75% charge showing on tender readout. Sometimes it won't start even at 100%. BUT, at times it will start after not being on tender for a complete day. I have started it and let it warm up to operating temp and then shut it off with kill switch and key, then started it back up with success. I've also let it run for several mins, shut it off, attempted to start and resulted in just cranking. Walked away for a smoke, come back and starts right up. Agh!!!
I've used several different maps with no change is starting ability. At one point I thought maybe it was vapor locking, but the constant change in how it starts and when it will or won't has lead me away from that. I haven't read any posts that explain such a intermittent starting problem. Maybe I'm so frustrated that I'm missing something small here... Let the diagnosis begin....:confused:

·
Registered
116 Posts
maybe im telling a stupid thing but did you checked the regulator rectifier? maybe could be that the problem

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
I didn't read anywhere in your post whether or not it's "throwing" any codes... have you checked the self-diagnostic plug onder the seat? There are several threads on here how to properly perform this, and the service manual also explains the step-by_step process. If you haven't one, and are unable to find the treads, let me/us know and I'll see what I can do for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts