Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to install a new set of Helis, and they accept the internal vibration dampers from the OE bars. I see a retainer clip holding the piece in the stock bar, but don't know the technique to getting it out.

Since I'll be re-installing them in the Helis, butchering them is not desireable. Anyone here know how they come out? Please enlighten me on this!

I did a search and found mentions of the internal dampers, but nothing about how to remove them, so save the 'killed a kitten' pics. hehehehehe.............

·
Registered
441 Posts
The set of Throttlemeisters I just bought came with a puller to take it out otherwise it's a major bicth. I'll PM you with my number. Call me if you want to use it. I'll be out that way in an hour or so.

Edit:spelling

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
HEY!

You might want to PM OHOH right away! - he and I have both had Helibars on our 954s (I'm back to stock clip-ons) and neither of us were about the business of trying to stuff anything into them! - neither does it say anything to that effect in this online how-to guide.

http://www.helibars.com/instructions/Honda%20CBR954RR.doc

I just don't want to see you jack up your bars. Hope I'm not too late.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Latebraking : I'm getting ready to install a new set of Helis, and they accept the internal vibration dampers from the OE bars. I see a retainer clip holding the piece in the stock bar, but don't know the technique to getting it out.

Since I'll be re-installing them in the Helis, butchering them is not desireable. Anyone here know how they come out? Please enlighten me on this!

I did a search and found mentions of the internal dampers, but nothing about how to remove them, so save the 'killed a kitten' pics. hehehehehe.............
Is this something new? My helis have a threaded portion welded in the end to accept the stock bar ends. I have been thinking about cutting them out so I can put a bigger weight in, and use the standard 929 Throttlemeister adaptors.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I went over there and the inside of the bar looked just like the stock bar. Edit: I mean like the stock bar with out the weight in it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Latebraking : I see a retainer clip holding the piece in the stock bar, but don't know the technique to getting it out.
You're on the right path.  The stock ends come out pretty easy if you know the trick.  You need to remove the grip to get to an access hole (located on the top of the clip-on bar, IIRC) where you can push in the clip's little tit that pops up into the hole when they are installed.  I've found that it helps to actually push the assy into the bar a bit to get at the tit. Then, just give a good yank on the whole assy, with the bar-ends still attached -- everything should come out in one piece.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The internal weights came out with no drama, thanks to O.T.E. stopping by with the Throttlemeister tool used to remove the internal damper. It would have been quite challenging without it - a big   for bringing that by!

Installation into the Helis was not a problem, wheel bearing grease is a wonderful thing! Since I have not ridden with the Helis yet, I can't comment on anything other than sitting on the bike in the garage - quite different. Whether it's an improvement or not, will wait until after I get home from work tomorrow.

Thanks to all who offered their advice and experience. It was the Throttlemeister tool that made it a painless task.

Me and a friend rode up Angeles Crest this morning for breakfast - other than a few cagers who couldn't be bothered to use turnouts, the road was quiet and clear, with no LEOs to be seen, it was a surreal experience because of that last detail. Then, we rode to the Rock Store (which is where all the LEOs were), eyeballed the hardware, said hello to Jay Leno and then headed back. A good ride today - no close calls, and no tickets. Looking forward to next weekend. May ride south for something different.

·
Registered
276 Posts
CanyonCarver : Quote (Latebraking @ Sep. 20 2003, 11:25am)I see a retainer clip holding the piece in the stock bar, but don't know the technique to getting it out.
You're on the right path.  The stock ends come out pretty easy if you know the trick.  You need to remove the grip to get to an access hole (located on the top of the clip-on bar, IIRC) where you can push in the clip's little tit that pops up into the hole when they are installed.  I've found that it helps to actually push the assy into the bar a bit to get at the tit. Then, just give a good yank on the whole assy, with the bar-ends still attached -- everything should come out in one piece.
Give a good yank on the assy, eh? a popped up little tit, you say? And in a hole no less?

Dr. Freud would like this thread.

BW

1 - 10 of 10 Posts