Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, New member here.

I recently purchased a 2000 Cbr929rr. Awesome Bike nice ride definetly different from my previous bikes (tl1000s, wr426 supermoto, zx600r(first bike)) and i love it! Well my luck was cut short a couple days ago. I was just going for a cruise when bad road conditions got the best of me and my bike. i lost balance and control of the bike going 40-50mph on a tight curve. dropping the bike on its left side damaging the fairing and busting a big whole on my crankshaft housing. declaring the bike DEAD! I sad to have to part with it so i held myself together whipped off the tear and decided to Strip it down and rebuilt it from the ground up. Meaning Replace Motor or pick up a bottom end in good condition and rebuild the old one. Upgrading Brakes. New Clutch. tires. and reduce weight. pretty much the whole shibang.

Now heres where you guys come in play. Ive always worked on cars my whole life. couple engine swaps and all. This is my first bike project and I would greatly appreciate you help and opinion on how to do things the right way.

To Start with what a good Accurate and helping DIY book on this bike...And anyone wanting to sell a complete motor?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hey there, New member here.

I recently purchased a 2000 Cbr929rr. Awesome Bike nice ride definetly different from my previous bikes (tl1000s, wr426 supermoto, zx600r(first bike)) and i love it! Well my luck was cut short a couple days ago. I was just going for a cruise when bad road conditions got the best of me and my bike. i lost balance and control of the bike going 40-50mph on a tight curve. dropping the bike on its left side damaging the fairing and busting a big whole on my crankshaft housing. declaring the bike DEAD! I sad to have to part with it so i held myself together whipped off the tear and decided to Strip it down and rebuilt it from the ground up. Meaning Replace Motor or pick up a bottom end in good condition and rebuild the old one. Upgrading Brakes. New Clutch. tires. and reduce weight. pretty much the whole shibang.

Now heres where you guys come in play. Ive always worked on cars my whole life. couple engine swaps and all. This is my first bike project and I would greatly appreciate you help and opinion on how to do things the right way.

To Start with what a good Accurate and helping DIY book on this bike...And anyone wanting to sell a complete motor?

Can the hole be welded?
Get the Haynes manual for DIY.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can the hole be welded?
Get the Haynes manual for DIY.
thanks for the responce. but Nope. Not really a hole. I shatered the case into small pieces and lost some of them. i was hoping i could just weld it back on too. And i thought about haynes but any other ones out there. if not ill pick one up asap.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
thanks for the responce. but Nope. Not really a hole. I shatered the case into small pieces and lost some of them. i was hoping i could just weld it back on too. And i thought about haynes but any other ones out there. if not ill pick one up asap.

You don't mean the stator cover do you?
There might be a Clymer manual perhaps but I don't like Clymer's.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Both the stator cover and the part of the block that its bolted on shatered. And Haynes it is!

That's very common on the 929/954 engine, but it is very often repairable.
Can you post pics of the damage to the crankcase?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Ahh the old "my drop spools didn't work" (happens all the time)... That's fixable...

You have to remove the stator and fly wheel to make room for a welder to get in there... bring along a new cover to the welder too... also diligently plug and cover the passages to the crank and oil pan (basically have it all set up so all he has to do is weld).

A good alloy welder might cost you about $70-$100 an hour but it's cheaper than buying a new engine... Call boat prop shops that fix and weld props... they are VERY used to miticulously welding alloys of all crazy types... your run of the mill exhaust shop can't touch it with their mig welder... TIG welding alloy is an art... Go to a pro :)

GL!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts