OK, I'll be the dumb guy and ask:

Why?? :huh:
A) pay for a small version, and upgrade the drive to a bigger one for less
B) the original drive is dead
C) makes use of the drive in another project

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mini Ipod is 4g but has no drive, it is all memory. The same holds true for the shuffles, they are 512 or 1 gig of memory. The 20gig and 40 gig won't enter change, the cases are thicker for the 40 gig. For use on a bike I prefer the shuffle since it last about 8 hours on a single charge and is very small and light weight. I have a shuffle, mini and a 20 gig. My wife and daughter each have 40 gig and we have one old 10 gig laying around that still works good.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Max said:
Mini Ipod is 4g but has no drive, it is all memory. The same holds true for the shuffles, they are 512 or 1 gig of memory. The 20gig and 40 gig won't enter change, the cases are thicker for the 40 gig. For use on a bike I prefer the shuffle since it last about 8 hours on a single charge and is very small and light weight. I have a shuffle, mini and a 20 gig. My wife and daughter each have 40 gig and we have one old 10 gig laying around that still works good.
Steve thanks you and will dedicate the next Black Turtleneck to your clan ;)

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Max said:
The 4GB mini has a 4GB 1" Compact Flash hard drive; the new 6GB has a 6GB CF HD in it. Only the shuffles have solid state memory.

I have a 30GB iPod, and am a little tired of its antics. Sometimes the battery dies for no apparent reason, sometimes the iPod freezes, but worst of all, even when it's running well, the battery only lasts about 6-7 hours.

My next player will most likely be a Rio Carbon. 5GB, 20 real-life hours of battery life (not iPod's "12 hours", which even when new only meant 8), and it's tiny.

·
Registered
80 Posts
2OHOH2 you may be correct on the 4gig I read it was memory but it may be a memory drive like the compact flash drives for all I know. I picked up a pair of shuffles and they are great, now if I could just get them to work with Linux. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts