Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I really like to work on my own bike. So on the recommendation of another member of this site, I obtained a certified service manual. It's worth more than gold. So here's what happened... I stripped my lock nut on the right side chain adjuster. I was forced to remove the rear tire and replace the nut (both as it turned out). when I did this my laptop was in the pawn shop so I didn't have a manual. Instead I watched Utube videos, several to get a good idea of what I was looking at. I put it on a stand, loosened the brake, loosened the one side I was able on the chain adjuster, loosened the axel nut, removed the brake, then the axel nut, then the axel while supporting the tire. One of the collars fell off so I set it aside. I replaced the chain adjuster lock nuts on both sides and got ready to reassemble. I did not check bearings or dust seals or anything I just greased the axel with all purpose grease, replaced the collars (I didn't even clean them I was on a break from work and just needed to get it done) I slid the axel back in the way it came out and gently. I made sure the break caliper bracket was properly seated in the slot in the frame, the collars were inserted properly although one of them looked like it could go in either side out so I am not sure it went back in exactly like it came out but everything else sure did. I adjusted my chain from it's tightest point and made sure all bolts and nuts were secure. I adjusted the chain to the tick marks on the frame. Not worried in the least, and quite proud of myself for accomplishing such a task for the first time ever. I travel 40 miles round trip to work, and upon arriving at work that second day I noticed that the left half of my tire was bald. Just the left side. I obtained another manual in a hurry and checked my work against the manual. It looked like I had done everything right except the torque. So I took it to a friends house on break, back on the stand and disassembled and reassembled according to the manual with correct torque again adjusting the chain to the frame marks from it's tightest point. The tire was still wearing but not nearly as badly. Now the wear has encompassed almost the entire tire. Needless to say I need a new tire and while the second repair was going on I was paying a lot more attention to what was going on around the tire and noticed that there were several links on the chain that would not straighten out as it came off the sprocket those links were fused. Now I am adding a chain along with the tire. I decided to change the front sprocket as well "just cuz". I am dropping a tooth but as far as I know it is in fine condition, it's just a "want to" thing. This started two weeks ago today and as of Friday I was afraid to bring it home. I wasn't sure it would make it in one piece. So it is sitting at my friends house awaiting parts that were ordered on Wednesday night. What I want, no what I need to know is: what did I do to it in the first place? I am about to replace the tire and if the initial problem isn't fixed I'm throwing away $135.00 and I'll still have the same problem. Could I have somehow screwed up a bearing? Other than what I have stated nothing else on the rear suspension was touched. The manual was no help on this issue. I also R|R the front wheel with the manual in hand and there are no problems with that tire. Someone please help! I can't afford, now, to take it to a mechanic.

·
Registered
269 Posts
make sure that the distance (marking) on one side is the same as the other or the wheel will be on an angle causing premature wear of the tire.

·
Registered
564 Posts
make sure that the distance (marking) on one side is the same as the other or the wheel will be on an angle causing premature wear of the tire.
:plus1: This process normally takes a bit of time and you need to push the tire forward to make sure it is against the adjusters for an accurate reading.

Also make sure that your chain is at the proper slack. It is located on your chain guard. I believe an inch and 3/4 or 45mm of travel in the middle of the bottom part of the chain.

Take good care of your chain, lube it and clean it regularly. I do this at least every other week because I ride daily. My chain looks like I just bought it and it's 2 years old.
I consider chain maintenance to be pretty important.

Good job on replacing sprockets, you should each time you get a new chain.
A tip for the change will be before you take anything apart, loosen the front sprocket. I put a the bike in 1st gear, put a thick shovel through the swingarm and wheel, then use a large breaker bar(or whatever large wrench you have) to get it. It's torqued down really well and probably rusted a bit/has gunk on it.. From there on it's fairly straightforward...

Good luck, hopefully this time it goes better.. :thumb:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts