Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tired of all the hostility between Repubs and Demos as we approach the election?

Food for thought from The Christian Science Monitor:

"The age of statesmen is gone.... God save the Republic ... from the buffoon and gawk ... we have for President."

That was the New York World in 1864, commenting on the renomination of Abraham Lincoln.

also...

As David and Johnny Johnson note in "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the White House," our presidential contests have always been marked by scurrilous charges, innuendo, and outright lies.

Andrew Jackson was described by his opponents as a drunkard, bigamist, adulterer, gambler, and murderer. Abraham Lincoln likewise was viewed as an "awful woeful ass," a "dictator," a "coarse vulgar joker," and a "grotesque baboon." To Republicans in 1884, Grover Cleveland was a "lecherous beast," an "obese nincompoop," and a "drunken sot." But through all the calumnies and distortions, we have selected decent, if not always excellent, presidents, whose virtues were maximized and vices minimized by mutually vigilant, separated powers of government.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
bwhip said:
But through all the calumnies and distortions, we have selected decent, if not always excellent, presidents, whose virtues were maximized and vices minimized by mutually vigilant, separated powers of government.
So what happened last time? :idunno:

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I would say that the political field is probably more mild mannered than at any other time in recorded history.....

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Baketech said:
I would say that the political field is probably more mild mannered than at any other time in recorded history.....
:nod: I was going to say the same thing.
:crap: spooky. :(

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
figment said:
:nod: I was going to say the same thing.
:crap: spooky. :(
Tigerblade should give us a dollah.... :smilebig:

Edit:
On a related not, a contentious race does create some good byproducts...it's nice to see a rise in political engagement....more people following the issues, and more people voting.... :thumb:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I think the candidates are bigger pussies than ever. But I'm pretty young and barely remember Carter, so it's pretty hard for me to say "ever".

But I think there is notably more division in people, and people seem less likely to get behind their elected chief.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts