Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
debating on buying it runs great has never bin put down, but dont know the life span on the vtwin engines.... taxes come in less then 2 weeks so gonna buy me a bike and i really want a hawk, rode my friends gsxr wasnt quite my taste and tryed out a cbr 900 was nice but i wanted something a little different then average and came across this so let me know =)

ps. and yes this would be my first bike , ive only rode a few times, ive dirt biked alot and loved the feel of it but wanted something more daily so i finally come to the conclusion i wanted one, i thought about a 600 for the first bike but im 6' "2 and they all seemed so scrunched and small so i figured id shoot for something a little bigger, ill be moving down to az in a few months to go to mmi if i get accepted ( taking the honda course to start out) but yes please give me your opinions on the value of a bike at this milage it would be very much appreciated

Thanks -jake

-----1998 Honda Super Hawk 996 VF1000.
-----27,000 miles on this bike.
-----Aftermarket Sergeant Cycle seat and tank bra.
-----Good Tires
(Cash Price:$2000)

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Price doesn't seem too bad but I'd definately ride it first.
The VTR1000 is a strange bike all round compared to what you've ridden. You'll either love it or hate it. Personally, I find them too long, too tall, too heavy, too slow and too loud.
Mileage is irrelevant and no way of knowing if it's accurate anyway. If it's been looked after, 100,000 miles would still be good, if it's been thrashed, 5000 miles could be on its last legs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright well theres one more bike im debating on it with its a 1998 cbr 600 f3, with 20k on it price is 2300, just not sure if ill feel to scrunched on it.... and just wondering would the 600 f3 keep up with a 01 gsxr 600?, im in love with the look of the superhawk but i eyed the f3 first so its bin a debate

ah yes and what is done to the f3

The bike has a new windscreen, battery, Vortex 520 sprocket kit and chain. The handle bar clips are from a 03 RR. It has a polished Vance and Hines SS2R slip on pipe, integrated blinkers on the front. New front and rear tires were put on towards the end of last season. The bike currently has 20,971 miles. I have all of the stock parts to go along with the bike.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
alright well theres one more bike im debating on it with its a 1998 cbr 600 f3, with 20k on it price is 2300, just not sure if ill feel to scrunched on it.... and just wondering would the 600 f3 keep up with a 01 gsxr 600?, im in love with the look of the superhawk but i eyed the f3 first so its bin a debate
I'm 6'2" 235lbs and I rode my mate's F3 with no trouble at all.
And I ride my ZX6R and 250's perfectly comfortably as well.
Only way to know is to ride one.
Being your first bike you're unlikely to keep up with anything else at all.
No, the F3 won't stay with a later GSXR6 but I'd expect it to be ahead of the VTR1000 in the hands of equal riders.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm 6'2" 235lbs and I rode my mate's F3 with no trouble at all.
And I ride my ZX6R and 250's perfectly comfortably as well.
Only way to know is to ride one.
Being your first bike you're unlikely to keep up with anything else at all.
No, the F3 won't stay with a later GSXR6 but I'd expect it to be ahead of the VTR1000 in the hands of equal riders.
lol that makes my decision a little harder =), im hoping to buy something that once im experienced enough ill be able to keep up with my friends gsxr6, yet at the same time in a decent budget range, ill have a little over 2 grand from tax money in which im gonna buy a bike and in 4 month's ill be riding it down to arizona and starting fresh there, but i suppose that puts the f3 above the vtr1000 if its almost 400cc's less and yet still capable of keeping up or staying ahead of it with two equal riders.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
ah yes and what is done to the f3

The bike has a new windscreen, battery, Vortex 520 sprocket kit and chain. The handle bar clips are from a 03 RR. It has a polished Vance and Hines SS2R slip on pipe, integrated blinkers on the front. New front and rear tires were put on towards the end of last season. The bike currently has 20,971 miles. I have all of the stock parts to go along with the bike.
New battery is always a red flag for me.
Why put a new battery in a bike you're selling?
Usually because it's been sitting a long time, long enough to kill the old battery - which is also long enough to cause other possible problems.
Or it was parked because the charging system died.
New tyres last season just means it either needs new tyres soon or it has hardly been ridden. Not many bikes get a whole "season" out of one set of tyres unless it's parked in a workshop.
Chain and sprocket are maintenance items that you'll have to replace at some point anyway.
The only way to know if it's worth buying is to thoroughly inspect it and ride it. You buy it for what it actually is, not because of what the seller says it is. I've bought bikes that the sellers thought were junk but just needed a little work to make them like new. Mostly though, sellers prefer to think their bikes are perfect when they're actually junk.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
lol that makes my decision a little harder =), im hoping to buy something that once im experienced enough ill be able to keep up with my friends gsxr6, yet at the same time in a decent budget range, ill have a little over 2 grand from tax money in which im gonna buy a bike and in 4 month's ill be riding it down to arizona and starting fresh there, but i suppose that puts the f3 above the vtr1000 if its almost 400cc's less and yet still capable of keeping up or staying ahead of it with two equal riders.
It depends on whether you want to be able to keep up with your friend's bike or merely keep up with him. If he's a poor rider then you can probably keep up with him on an EX250.
Frankly, if your view of riding is "keeping up" with your friends, you shouldn't be considering getting a bike, and you need to find smarter friends to ride with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
New battery is always a red flag for me.
Why put a new battery in a bike you're selling?
Usually because it's been sitting a long time, long enough to kill the old battery - which is also long enough to cause other possible problems.
Or it was parked because the charging system died.
New tyres last season just means it either needs new tyres soon or it has hardly been ridden. Not many bikes get a whole "season" out of one set of tyres unless it's parked in a workshop.
Chain and sprocket are maintenance items that you'll have to replace at some point anyway.
The only way to know if it's worth buying is to thoroughly inspect it and ride it. You buy it for what it actually is, not because of what the seller says it is. I've bought bikes that the sellers thought were junk but just needed a little work to make them like new. Mostly though, sellers prefer to think their bikes are perfect when they're actually junk.
i can easly beleive that both the bikes have bin sitting for around 4 months considering the fact of winter, hence why im happy ill be moving towards the desert, and i guess ill have to inspect them like i would a new truck, check gaskets compression, see how it shifts ect, got any suggestions on a bike that would keep up with a gsxr that is not a gsxr?

the fact is he's only rode his bike once then he had to park it for the winter and i got one ride on it , i wasnt much for the feel of it, i dont know why but it didnt just feel right and what i mean by keep up with him is i figure were gonna be riding together alot since were both going to arizona and were gonna learn together and i know im gonna get to know my bike first , as my dad always told me if you get a bike treat it like a car take the time get to know it get a feel for it and learn it inside and out how it corners how it shifts , pretty much get a feel for everything because when your on the bike its pretty much a part of your body what you do with it can have serious consiquinces

im also smater to know that you dont get to know your bike over a month or even a year especially when its a new rider it takes time, and to say the least i want a bike to ride just to ride to be able to go and have the feeling its just me and the bike, i suppose i have a corny view at it but its like when i ride my dirtbike i get on it and i go and i forget about everything else i have no other worries except me the bike and our surroundings it takes me away and has always bin a feeling i loved, so thats the main reason for me getting a bike... not to be an idiot like my neighbor buy a r6 and a week later thinking your cool doing wheelies and next thing he knows he's on the ground and his bike was in the back of a car, luckly he didnt get hurt but he got smart and got rid of his bike when he realized its not just a toy, sorry gettin carried away and off topic but do you have any suggestions for a good bike to start with , atleast in your opnion other then gsxr6

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I have not ridden either bike, but out of the 2 I would personally go for the VTR as I find 600's a but gutless. In fact I nearly bought a VTR before my Blade, it's only the limited fuel range (about 100 miles or so) that put me off. That said, IMHO the CBR600F is probably one of the better bikes for a beginner so in your situation I would say go for the 600. A CBR600 is not itself a 'beginners bike', many riders consider them to be one of the best bikes you can have for the road. I would put the standard controls back on though!

As for 'keeping up with a GSXR' - as bladeracer says it's about the rider, not the bike - you could buy a brand new Fireblade and not keep up with an old 600 if ridden by a better rider. A mate of mine had a CBR600 F4 and I could not keep up with him on my 900 Fireblade! I have also had to overtake an R1 rider on a twisty road because he was going to slow for me on my old ZZR600. Also different bikes are better in different circumstances.

You will be faster on a bike you are comfortable on and confident with. As we are all different, we are all going to prefer different bikes. As bladeracer says, your first concern should not be keeping up with anyone anyway - that mentality often ends in tears, and not always your own as you may not have the opportunity to cry any. Focus on getting a bike that you like, and improve your riding ability at your own pace - advanced training would most likely be a benefit.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
i can easly beleive that both the bikes have bin sitting for around 4 months considering the fact of winter, hence why im happy ill be moving towards the desert, and i guess ill have to inspect them like i would a new truck, check gaskets compression, see how it shifts ect, got any suggestions on a bike that would keep up with a gsxr that is not a gsxr?

the fact is he's only rode his bike once then he had to park it for the winter and i got one ride on it , i wasnt much for the feel of it, i dont know why but it didnt just feel right and what i mean by keep up with him is i figure were gonna be riding together alot since were both going to arizona and were gonna learn together and i know im gonna get to know my bike first , as my dad always told me if you get a bike treat it like a car take the time get to know it get a feel for it and learn it inside and out how it corners how it shifts , pretty much get a feel for everything because when your on the bike its pretty much a part of your body what you do with it can have serious consiquinces
In a climate that requires putting your bikes away during winter, it's even more important to properly look after them, so it should've been stored properly on a trickle charger. If it wasn't, then there may be other things you need to look at like fuel stabiliser or rust in the tank.
An '01 GSXR6 is a _very_ capable race bike and in the hands of a skilled rider will be tough to stay with anywhere except long straight roads at jailable speeds, whatever bike you're on. But, if you're talking about sensible road riding you will have no trouble staying with him on whatever you buy. You ride within your own comfort and skill level. If he wants to blast off for a bit then he'll stop and wait for you and you'll do the same. That's regardless of what bikes you're on. I've ridden with all sorts of other bikes and it's never a race to get anywhere.
He rode his GSXR once and you want something that'll keep up with him?
You should be able to keep up with him just fine in a Honda Civic until he learns to ride it :)
Equally skilled riders will need more equal machinery - any of the same era's 600 Supersport or 1000cc Superbikes would be good choices.
The F3 is a _great_ choice for a first bike though. It's very capable on the track as well as being extremely streetable. It's got great midrange for a 600 as well. The only downside really is they're a little heavier than the others due to the steel frame.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
yeah im gonna take the begging and advanced classes this spring when i get my permit will help alot with insurance and getting to know the bike a little better i figure for the 220 $ or so that it will cost ill save alot in the long run and learn alot from them, and i suppose im looking at it as two equal riders and on what bike would have hte potential to keep up with a gsxr600 , and no im not gonna treat it like a dumb situation and try and race right away i just want a bike that i feel will be satisfactory in power once i improve my riding ability, it will take time of cours i just figure if i get a bike i want something that i wont feel the need to change out for a more powerful bike in the near future or a bike that ill keep for a few years even if it means rebuilding the engine(cant be to much different then a car or dirt bike engine) it may sound sad but i seem to grow quite attached to my vehicles then i do the people around me cause i suppose they make me feel more comfortable then people and they wont mentaly wreck me like everyone else has in my life.

and one more question would it be worth ever buying a bike that has bin put down? i would get the frame inspected at the dealer and make sure it isnt bent of course but just curious

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
im also smater to know that you dont get to know your bike over a month or even a year especially when its a new rider it takes time, and to say the least i want a bike to ride just to ride to be able to go and have the feeling its just me and the bike, i suppose i have a corny view at it but its like when i ride my dirtbike i get on it and i go and i forget about everything else i have no other worries except me the bike and our surroundings it takes me away and has always bin a feeling i loved, so thats the main reason for me getting a bike... not to be an idiot like my neighbor buy a r6 and a week later thinking your cool doing wheelies and next thing he knows he's on the ground and his bike was in the back of a car, luckly he didnt get hurt but he got smart and got rid of his bike when he realized its not just a toy, sorry gettin carried away and off topic but do you have any suggestions for a good bike to start with , atleast in your opnion other then gsxr6
I agree with you, which is why I don't see much value in putting a whole lot of effort into choosing your first bike over another. Whatever bike you buy, once you learn to ride well you will almost certainly want something different anyway. I can't think of anybody that still only rides the first bike they ever bought after two or three years. For that reason it makes sense to get something that's reliable, crashable, repairable and saleable when it's time to upgrade.

I'd seriously look at the F3 or if you wanted something a little sportier the '98/'99 ZX6R. I find the R6 and GSXR are ergonomically racebikes so they can be a pain for some people that just commute or ride on weekends. Both are amazing bikes but it's wasted if you aren't going to use them for that purpose.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
i just want a bike that i feel will be satisfactory in power once i improve my riding ability, it will take time of cours i just figure if i get a bike i want something that i wont feel the need to change out for a more powerful bike in the near future or a bike that ill keep for a few years even if it means rebuilding the engine(cant be to much different then a car or dirt bike engine) it may sound sad but i seem to grow quite attached to my vehicles then i do the people around me cause i suppose they make me feel more comfortable then people and they wont mentaly wreck me like everyone else has in my life.
I'm the same.
I don't buy any car or bike because I plan to sell it at some point - why would I want it now if I don't think I'm going to keep it forever :)
That's why I have nineteen bikes and seven cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm the same.
I don't buy any car or bike because I plan to sell it at some point - why would I want it now if I don't think I'm going to keep it forever :)
hehe thats exactly how i will end up i have 2 trucks and 2 cars at the age of 20, hmm i was looking at the r6's but ive always had a thing against yamaha since my first snowmobile, ill check the f3 out thats for sure but i suppose is should keep my eyes open , i always wanted a ninja but the prices are a little above my range at the moment.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
yeah im gonna take the begging and advanced classes this spring when i get my permit ..... im looking at it as two equal riders and on what bike would have hte potential to keep up with a gsxr600 .... i want something that i wont feel the need to change out for a more powerful bike in the near future or a bike that ill keep for a few years even if it means rebuilding the engine(cant be to much different then a car or dirt bike engine)

and one more question would it be worth ever buying a bike that has bin put down? i would get the frame inspected at the dealer and make sure it isnt bent of course but just curious
Over here there are a number of advanced / further training options available. I am soon to take my Advanced Test with one of the 2 well recognised organisations (road safety charities) and I can honestly say it has been well worth it. I have learned hell of a lot more than I thought I would!

As for the bikes, well all of the bikes of the same eras are pretty close. Of course the manufacturers improve them ever so slightly every year. However on the road the vast majority of riders come nowhere close to the limit of their bikes. I really wouldn't get too hung up on the 'keeping up with a GSXR' thing, in the real world there are so many variables that makes the comparison pretty meaningless. The CBR600 would be in the same ballpark IMHO.

Bike engines are pretty robust if looked after, you shouldn't need to rebuild it ordinarily - it's something that is well beyond my ability, and not something I worry about.

As for crashed bikes - I would buy one if it was reflected in the price and I was confident that the damage wasn't terminal. I would not buy a stunt bike though - we don't really have many of them over here, but from what I have seen they are not a lot cheaper than a decent bike in the US, yet have been seriously abused and look shite - why bother with one of those :idunno:

I'm the same.
:rotfl: LOL While I can appreciate the sentiment, for a lot of us this is not really practical, for financial and space reasons (space being related to financial of course!) And don't forget another significant factor - the other half! I'm lucky to have 2 bikes, let alone 19!

As the saying goes, you only have one arse!

I'm not saying it's wrong of course - I would LOVE to have 19 bikes in my garage :thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Over here there are a number of advanced / further training options available. I am soon to take my Advanced Test with one of the 2 well recognised organisations (road safety charities) and I can honestly say it has been well worth it. I have learned hell of a lot more than I thought I would!

As for the bikes, well all of the bikes of the same eras are pretty close. Of course the manufacturers improve them ever so slightly every year. However on the road the vast majority of riders come nowhere close to the limit of their bikes. I really wouldn't get too hung up on the 'keeping up with a GSXR' thing, in the real world there are so many variables that makes the comparison pretty meaningless. The CBR600 would be in the same ballpark IMHO.

Bike engines are pretty robust if looked after, you shouldn't need to rebuild it ordinarily - it's something that is well beyond my ability, and not something I worry about.

As for crashed bikes - I would buy one if it was reflected in the price and I was confident that the damage wasn't terminal. I would not buy a stunt bike though - we don't really have many of them over here, but from what I have seen they are not a lot cheaper than a decent bike in the US, yet have been seriously abused and look shite - why bother with one of those :idunno:

:rotfl: LOL While I can appreciate the sentiment, for a lot of us this is not really practical, for financial and space reasons (space being related to financial of course!) And don't forget another significant factor - the other half! I'm lucky to have 2 bikes, let alone 19!

I'm not saying it's wrong of course - I would LOVE to have 19 bikes in my garage :thumb:
lol thanks you guys very much youve bin quite a big help to me +-) and the bike will be my daily driver when i move to arizona , ill have my truck too incase of rain but it dont rain much there so not much of a worry, looks like im gonna go take a peek at two f3's and the hawk just cause it caught my eye so much, just dont think i can do with 100 miles to the tank lol so i got a bit figured out lol now if i buy an f3 i need to buy a 03 rr tail and convert it lol dont like the look of the tails on the f3's and the bannana seat it drives me crazy lol

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
For sure.
My ZX6R, 929 and GSXR1000 were all bought as wrecks.
The ZX6R was the worst as the frame was bent 20 degrees and the wheel was smashed into the headers. The frame, wheel, discs, forks and one caliper were damaged beyond repair.
I replaced the frame with one that was less bent and put an '04 GSXR600 frontend on with my SRAD GSXR750 wheel and discs. It's currently using my GSXR1000 front wheel and discs though as it had a slick on it and it was easier to swap the wheels over than change the tyre :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts

This is my girlfriend's cousin's husband, Ray.
He has an _amazing_ collection of 21 Aussie muscle cars, many of them Bathurst race cars. He's only got one arse too :)

And some of mine.
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/general-discussion/75114-gold-sprocket.html#post820907

Attachments

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts