Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was just wondering if using the 'kill' switch (the red one) harms the engine or anything else if i use it to kill the engine rather than using the key. :idunno:

I seem to do it normally when its night time as i dont want to wake the neighbours up but need the light to open my garage lock and just had a thought.

Ive never known it to "hurt" the bike, but ive heard of the switch playing up before.

Anyway, i hope you guys are enjoying the rest of autumn, winter is only around the corner :evilaugh:

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'd be really surprised if the kill switch would hurt the engine. I think the effect and the results are the same whether you use the key or the switch.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
So in the dirt the red button is all you ever use - The KTM for example has an electric start and no key at all, just the botton. To get the bike "active" you need to roll it a little so the started goes live, after a while it times out. Needless to say I don't leave it parked anywhere.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
The manual states that you should always use the key and that the kill switch is only there for emergency shut off. I don't think that it will in any way actually "hurt" the engine. I think that they make the recommendation just so that you aren't draining the battery by leaving things powered up with the engine up.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hi,

I was just wondering if using the 'kill' switch (the red one) harms the engine or anything else if i use it to kill the engine rather than using the key. :idunno:

I seem to do it normally when its night time as i dont want to wake the neighbours up but need the light to open my garage lock and just had a thought.

Ive never known it to "hurt" the bike, but ive heard of the switch playing up before.

Anyway, i hope you guys are enjoying the rest of autumn, winter is only around the corner :evilaugh:
it's fine...i do it on my 929

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
it won't hurt it and I can't ever, in over 10 years, remember using the key to switch off the engine. :) I'm gonna read the handbook later out of curiosity.............

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
mine just say Engine Stop, nothing about emergency or any some such, so I happily will carry on using it as the engine stop. I cannot see any way it would damage the motor as Bribassguy says it does the same as the key iirc anyway.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
:plus1: kill switch "back-fires"* are soooo cool!! :rotfl:

(* before anyone says anything, they are not strictly back-fires but exploding unburnt fuel in the exhaust, but its a good description all the same!! tooas is great fun)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I only use the key, I had a 600 that I used the switch on and the switch wore out. I had to keep playing with the switch til contact was good and the starter would kick in.......

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
I only use the key, I had a 600 that I used the switch on and the switch wore out. I had to keep playing with the switch til contact was good and the starter would kick in.......

but once you shut the bike off with the key don't you put the switch back to the off position also? the switch doesn't care if the engine is running or not. its like a light switch, flick it on and off and the light goes on and off. unplug the light and flip the switch on and off. the switch is still making and breaking the connection even if it doesn't have any noticeable affect. your switch probably wore out either because of abuse (not saying anything intentional, could just be rough roads jarring it) or maybe it was defective and just wasn't going to last as long as it should no matter what the usage.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You really should be using the emergency shut off when you get off the bike as a rule. You will train yourself to stop the engine with the button. When that unfortunate time comes along where your bike is running out of control from a stuck accelerator, your muscle memory will automatically shut the engine down without incident. my 0.02

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
but once you shut the bike off with the key don't you put the switch back to the off position also? the switch doesn't care if the engine is running or not. its like a light switch, flick it on and off and the light goes on and off. unplug the light and flip the switch on and off. the switch is still making and breaking the connection even if it doesn't have any noticeable affect. your switch probably wore out either because of abuse (not saying anything intentional, could just be rough roads jarring it) or maybe it was defective and just wasn't going to last as long as it should no matter what the usage.

Yes, but the switch wore out, not too uncommon to hear about this though. it was an older bike but still, i will still use the key to shut the bike down now.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
You really should be using the emergency shut off when you get off the bike as a rule. You will train yourself to stop the engine with the button. When that unfortunate time comes along where your bike is running out of control from a stuck accelerator, your muscle memory will automatically shut the engine down without incident. my 0.02

whoa.....stuck throttles suck!!!! not worried about that on this bike though....

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
Yes, but the switch wore out, not too uncommon to hear about this though. it was an older bike but still, i will still use the key to shut the bike down now.

well yeah any really old electrical piece isn't gonna last forever.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I use the kill switch every day. When I get to work, I park my bike inside my factory thru the loading dock. I don't want people to smell my exhaust so I get a good start, kill the engine, and ride it in neutral to my 'parking' spot.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
:plus1: kill switch "back-fires"* are soooo cool!! :rotfl:

(* before anyone says anything, they are not strictly back-fires but exploding unburnt fuel in the exhaust, but its a good description all the same!! tooas is great fun)

such a mid-nineties supa stunna comment.....:rotfl:

·
Registered
37 Posts
the reason people advise us to use the key is because it is a much more robust switch and is designed for regular use as heavier contacts are used the switch on the bar is handier but you end up using the key anyway

1 - 20 of 21 Posts