Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wrecked, taking out my front headlight and plastics. now that i have to replace the whole headlight unit and the surrounding plastics, is it possible to put in a HID unit that won't tax my system or blow my fuses? i live in the dominican republic where, at night, it is pitch black with no street lights and where lots of animals (cows, horses, etc) roam alongside the highways at night where they eat the overgrown grass.

and who makes a good aftermarket HID system for CBR954's??

Frank

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i just did a search and read a whole lot of posts and material that has already been written about the Hid system. still, i'm wondering if anyone has put this on their 954 and whether or not it is worth the cost? I do live in the boonies and man, at night here, there are all kinds of animals roaming alongside the highways. it's not like europe or the US states here; there are no street lamps! no refelctors on the road! no middle or side burns/edges! just wild grass and animals walking alongside the highway. this is the wild west down here and light is important! the more the better!

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
HID systems use less watts than halogen setups. Typical HID's use 35 watts where halogen is 55 watts.

The bigger issue is that HID's is a system and not just bulbs. Look at OEM system, they are not just a different set of bulbs.

·
Registered
335 Posts
install the HID system directly into the battery and use a switch to toggle it on and off. if you just connected to the existing headlight wiring, it will give you some problems overtime like flickering.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
having HIDs on my car I would go for it on the bike too, may be winter project - dianne shop on ebay have some cheap deals fors, yet to look for bikes!

·
Registered
203 Posts
First, I replaced all three bulbs with HID lights. Yes, they do take less power, but not at the initial start. The bike would not if the highbeams were on, it was only after I had the highbeams off.

Another problem that I had was the fuse would blow out every 3rd or 4th day, just too much power at the initial start.

Finally, I just decided to go with one HID light, and have had no problems.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I bought the slim HID kit from ebay, ran me about 100 for two. Single one ran me around 60. All three HID lights were 3000K, so I had that bright yellow going on. Right now, I just have one 3000K HID, and two 2700K Piaa bulbs.

For my taste, I love that color.

·
Registered
335 Posts
you need to install the projectors too, not just throwing the HID bulbs right into the headlight. i would recommend shopping for a OEM type of HID (from a car like bwm mercedes etc).

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 03 954, and i installed a HID system on it, and its a great investment. I havent had the first problem with mine. I love it. I bought mine from an online store "HIDSTORES.COM".

·
Banned
645 Posts
Well I had dual bi xenon hids on my old bike looked killer. You won't blow fuses if you install them right with a delay switch so they come on 5 arcaonda after start up. As they so require much more voltage at start up but way less after that than regular lights. My bud has them on his 954 and I am going to put them in all 3 lights in my 929 bu xenon all the way so you have highs and lows. You don't need to use a special projector yes it would be better. But just adjust them right and no problems. Sure there may be. Glare but all lights have some just get some on eBay make sure you read their feedback and get some with a good warranty I have hids on all of my cars and will never go back

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
HID's ballasts are designed to work on 12v systems; typical automotive voltage. No matter what, they take 12 volts. The ballasts use a higher voltage to start the arc; but the ballasts are still only usinf 12 volts but they are bumping the voltage up on the outbound side.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts