Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys:
Do u guys always go back to the shop to do service or somewhere else?  For those experienced DIY guys, I know u guys probably will never visit shop's service department, so this is probably not your question.  I am a newbie here cannot do any services myself except change flush mount, canister, screen shield those non-technical task.  Is the dealership always ideal or best place to do service or somewhere u guys can recommand?  I am at San Jose, CA bay area.  Thank u for you guys' precious info and suggestions.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I service mine myself, but I'm a qualified car mechanic, so the bike is not hard to work on.
Check other guys in your area to find out who is offereing good service, go talk to that shop, ask them questions and if you are happy, take the bike to them, but remember price is not allways a good recommendation

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
If you can do bolt-ons as you've talked about, you can do the oil and filter changes and chain maintenance too. You'd best leave the periodic valve adjustments to the pros, but you'll save yourself a bundle doing the regular maintenace and will feel good about doing the work yourself.

Now get out there to the garage and start wrenching!

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Unless it involves tearing into the motor I'd do it myself(unless you're a mechanic) It always gets me more familiar/comfortable with the bike. I feel better knowing what kind of oil is in it, how much exactly, etc etc

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I do some, and let the shop do some.
I used to sell bikes, and do believe in a 1st service though.
A good shop will look over the whole bike to make sure all nuts and bolts are tight, as well as check proper adjustments.

That said, do yourself a huge favor and by a shop manual if you do your own work!
Proper Torque Specs are key for safety I think!!

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
In addition to the things Chain listed, bleeding brakes isn't hard, either. I do a lot of my own stuff...chain maintenance, oil & filter change, brake fluid change. I've installed new brake lines, a rear shock, and a full exhaust myself. I've also taken the forks off to ship them to Dan Kyle. That kind of stuff should be easy for you to do. The things I won't mess with are engine work, like valve adjustements, and taking the forks apart or changing fork oil. I'll probably have the shop do the spark plugs, because they're a PITA to get to.

·
Registered
332 Posts
It never hurts to buy the factory's service manual for any bike or car you own.

You can lookup a maintenance procedure and see if you want to attempt it yourself. Even if you decide to take it to a shop, you will have a good understanding the level of effort required.

A perfect example: A Toyota dealer wanted to charge me almost $150 to change the drive (serpentine) belt for my 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S. I checked the service manual, it looks like a 15 minute job for a klutz like me and I can get the part from autozone for like $20.

Those service manuals have paid for themselves many times over.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Very good advice! I am a firm believer in service manuals, although the price of same has risen to somewhat ridiculous levels. For my '98 Toyota 4X4, the manual(s) has now been broken down into several manuals (electrical, chassis, engine) and the total price for all is over a coupla hundred bucks! When I bought my '84 Toy 4X4 new the service manual (all encompassing) was $30 .

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yeah, they can get up there in price. My 1996 Saturn sedan (don't laugh, I sold it) factory manual came in several binders and was over $100 also. But they had some of the best quality paper and illustrations I have ever seen.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
things you can definitely do yourself. (This is coming from a guy w/ all thumbs.):

- Chain lube/ free play check/adjustment
- oil change
- coolant flush
- brake fluid change
- check/change brake pads (front and rear)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, Asiliat:
Thank you for your suggestion. I already havd service manual on hand but how do I know how many (litre) oil can coolant to put it in. I also have rear stand available, I was wondering when I put oil, should I have rear stand on my bike when I put oil. Because it 'lift' up bike and make bike rear end tilt and how do I know it's been properly filled. This is also related to coolant filled up issue. For the chain slack, do they have any specific tool to measure it accurately. How do make sure rear tire are evenly alignment? Do u mark it? Is there any smart way to know your time is perfectly set. Thank you very very much for your precious input.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
To be honest without trying to flame you,
If you don't know basic things, get it done by someone else (maybe a mate) and watch and learn, ask lots of questions, then attempt it next time by yourself when you have more knowledge. But get someone to double check what you have done. Once you have done it once correctly you should be right for the future
It's not hard to do, but you have to remember if you get a failure while riding, it could end up pretty bad

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
HondaGalToo : In addition to the things Chain listed, bleeding brakes isn't hard, either.  I do a lot of my own stuff...chain maintenance, oil & filter change, brake fluid change.  I've installed new brake lines, a rear shock, and a full exhaust myself.  I've also taken the forks off to ship them to Dan Kyle.  That kind of stuff should be easy for you to do.  The things I won't mess with are engine work, like valve adjustements, and taking the forks apart or changing fork oil.  I'll probably have the shop do the spark plugs, because they're a PITA to get to.
She covered it all, as well as the other posts. I think you can do pretty much everything with the service manual and some tools sans tire changes and Valve Adjustments. Valve adjustments you could do but you'd have to buy tools specific to the job and you'd have to buy the shim assortment which isn't cheap. She's right about the plugs as well, it's enough of PITA to say F it, and pay someone else to do it.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I'm an advocate for doing as much as you can yourself.

If you decide you need to go to a dealer for something, try Milpitas Honda. They're a good shop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts