Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know the best thing to do with the front end of the 54 is to olhins it, the second is to Dan kyle it ..... My plan is to open them up, put race tech springs, fresh oil close the up and go ride.

My bike as 50k on it with a lot of bouncing of the front end for many reasons.
Meaning that I was hard on the front en not that it is not behaving proprely. Is doing this going to impove the bike handeling performance or do I risk fuging up what I am used to.

One thing I have to mention is that I put a new rear shock showa standard on the back and shimmed it about 4mm to raise the rear.

Thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,098 Posts
CBR929RE said:
I think DK uses Ohlins springs now instead of the CrapTech. Find them and throw them in.
Which do you have in your forks...?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
728 Posts
CBR929RE said:
I think DK uses Ohlins springs now instead of the CrapTech. Find them and throw them in.
One of DKs workers told me that same thing, but I talked to Dan the other day and he said he will still use RaceTech, if the Ohlins is not available. He said they both are good, but the distribution centers run out from time to time, so he uses the Ohlins and Racetech. He still likes the Ohlins best though. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,773 Posts
Baketech said:
Which do you have in your forks...?
I'm not positive because the bike wasn't mine for the first 6000 miles but I don't think the previous owner rode it much more than straight up anyway (about 3 inch chicken strips when I got it). But I think they are stock stuff. I was just going on what I've heard about the newer Race Tech stuff not being as good as it once was.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,773 Posts
ULEWZ said:
One of DKs workers told me that same thing, but I talked to Dan the other day and he said he will still use RaceTech, if the Ohlins is not available. He said they both are good, but the distribution centers run out from time to time, so he uses the Ohlins and Racetech. He still likes the Ohlins best though. :)
cool. I wanna send mine to him someday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So will I improve if I just change the spring and oil without revalving, racetech is the only thing available to me. They should be better than the progressive stock ones? Since I do not revalve should I stay on the soft side or go with stiff ones?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,098 Posts
CBR929RE said:
I'm not positive because the bike wasn't mine for the first 6000 miles but I don't think the previous owner rode it much more than straight up anyway (about 3 inch chicken strips when I got it). But I think they are stock stuff. I was just going on what I've heard about the newer Race Tech stuff not being as good as it once was.
No offense, but why are you parroting advice in this thread when you don't particularly have any direct experience that supports it.... :huh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CBR929RE said:
I think its been said to stay away from the RaceTech gold valves as they wear and leave shavings in the oil.
Ya that is why I am not revalving, I just whant to know if it is better to go with racetech or put some new stock springs in my forks. Also maybe some diff grade of oil to compensate for the std valves :idunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,773 Posts
Baketech said:
No offense, but why are you parroting advice in this thread when you don't particularly have any direct experience that supports it.... :huh:
because you're an ass. what difference does it make whether I've done it or that I've read abot how many many people here have done it. The info is still the same regardless of who it comes from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,098 Posts
CBR929RE said:
because you're an ass. what difference does it make whether I've done it or that I've read abot how many many people here have done it. The info is still the same regardless of who it comes from.
That's never the case....it invariably get's translated wrong.... :crap:

When you know there are plenty of folks with direct experience, why cloud the issue with 3rd party info.... :huh:

Call me an ass if you like, but this is a pet peeve of mine, and you are really good at it... :smilebig:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
8,596 Posts
l'timbré said:
Ya that is why I am not revalving, I just whant to know if it is better to go with racetech or put some new stock springs in my forks. Also maybe some diff grade of oil to compensate for the std valves :idunno:
From what I've been told by DK, the stock springs are good if you weigh 150lbs. Depending on your weight, it would be money well spent to replace them. I noticed a big improvement when I did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,773 Posts
Baketech said:
That's never the case....it invariably get's translated wrong.... :crap:

When you know there are plenty of folks with direct experience, why cloud the issue with 3rd party info.... :huh:

Call me an ass if you like, but this is a pet peeve of mine, and you are really good at it... :smilebig:
so just because I relay the info from someone else that has done it means its bad? I never want anyone to just go and do something because this person or that person says to. Get as much info as possible, research is the best thing you can do.

If I said to people to buy a full hindle or full arata system to get as much power as you can for a 929/954, what difference does it make that I only have an erion slip on? the info is the same regardless. Its not like I'm giving vague info on some obscure stuff. This stuff has been talked about many times before so most people on this site will give you the same info. And I did say "I think DK..." the crap tech part was more of a joke than any kind of fact.

Just because one person hasn't done it and they talk about it doesn't mean its not true. I'm just throwing out suggestions for the guy.

oh yeah and if it bothers you I'm glad it does. give me shit when I give wrong info, thats fine. And I have admitted to stuff when I find out I'm wrong. So just deal with it by yourself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Red Rider said:
From what I've been told by DK, the stock springs are good if you weigh 150lbs. Depending on your weight, it would be money well spent to replace them. I noticed a big improvement when I did.

Thanks Man, did you stay with the same grade of oil? Do you know if I need special tools to do this? I looked in the service manuel and is seems like a simple task... did you have to do some cutting? Did you go with crap teck :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Baketech said:
That's never the case....it invariably get's translated wrong.... :crap:

When you know there are plenty of folks with direct experience, why cloud the issue with 3rd party info.... :huh:

Call me an ass if you like, but this is a pet peeve of mine, and you are really good at it... :smilebig:

I must admit I feel the same, there is nothing like information from experience priceless. :clap:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
l'timbré said:
Ya that is why I am not revalving, I just whant to know if it is better to go with racetech or put some new stock springs in my forks. Also maybe some diff grade of oil to compensate for the std valves :idunno:
If I were you, I'd fit the Ohlins springs and just refresh the oil with the standard weight and airgap and leave the valves alone. The springs should make the biggest difference. The stock springs are a bit too soft, but are progressive wound so they get stiffer the more they compress. Ohlins are about 10% stiffer, but are linear so maintain the same rate through the stroke.

It just makes sense to make changes one at a time unless you've got a lot of experience and data available like a professional has.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,773 Posts
l'timbré said:
I must admit I feel the same, there is nothing like information from experience priceless. :clap:
I do agree with you 2 on that but also you gotta look at what the question is and the info given. its like if someone asked how to take off the HTEV. I've heard of how to do it but haven't done it. its a more complicated thing to explain than a simple should I get this spring or that spring (I know thats not exactly what was asked). So something like that I wouldn't say anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,098 Posts
CBR929RE said:
I'm just throwing out suggestions for the guy..
Then you are obligated to qualify it as such, so the listener understands....

CBR929RE said:
oh yeah and if it bothers you I'm glad it does. give me shit when I give wrong info, thats fine. And I have admitted to stuff when I find out I'm wrong. So just deal with it by yourself.
But by then, the bad info is out, and the correction may not be communicated to everyone concerned....

By not "parroting" in the first place, you can avoid that unfortunate scenario.... :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,098 Posts
Sorry for jacking your thread l'timbr'e...... :crap:

This is just a pet peeve for me, that's all.... :cool:
 
1 - 20 of 90 Posts
Top