Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You've all heard or read the untimely comment he made...do you think this effectively ends his bid to run in 2008... :allears:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
If he had a chance, yes.

But since I don't think he did, I don't think it matters...

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally, I was hoping he would drain off a bit of Hillary's steam before he melted down... :crap:

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Yes. The democrats are largely controlled in primaries by the far left (as republicans are by the far right) Such absurd comments will play well with them (despite the fact they are not even close to true). This will get him the nomination. The next question is whether he can then move toward the right enough to win the election and on that I say no.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Does anyone actually believe he intended for that comment to come out the way it did?

I think he's a wafl, but no one in his right mind would have intentionally dissed the fighting forces with an offhand "joke" like that. I think he has proven that living in Massachusetts doesn't make you a gifted public speaker by default.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Much as he wishes he was one, he ain't no Kennedy.

But to be honest, I think it came out exactly like he thinks, slip of the word filter so to speak.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Does anyone actually believe he intended for that comment to come out the way it did?

I think he's a wafl, but no one in his right mind would have intentionally dissed the fighting forces with an offhand "joke" like that. I think he has proven that living in Massachusetts doesn't make you a gifted public speaker by default.
Yes

If it was a gaffe (a subject I am expert on) he would have said sorry that is not what I meant praised the troops THEN clarified intent. However at first he claimed out of context, then not what he meant but it was Bush's fault, and finally he VERY loosely apologized to the troops (and bashed Bush).

He is obviously someone that thinks he is a cut above the 'little people' of lesser intelligence. For instance global warming is a problem so he thinks everyone should drive less in smaller cars (while he keeps his fleet of SUVs at assorted mansions that use far more than he needs).

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Yes

If it was a gaffe (a subject I am expert on) he would have said sorry that is not what I meant praised the troops THEN clarified intent. However at first he claimed out of context, then not what he meant but it was Bush's fault, and finally he VERY loosely apologized to the troops (and bashed Bush).

He is obviously someone that thinks he is a cut above the 'little people' of lesser intelligence. For instance global warming is a problem so he thinks everyone should drive less in smaller cars (while he keeps his fleet of SUVs at assorted mansions that use far more than he needs).
I think the beginning stage of alzheimers is starting to flicker. For someone that considers himself a wordsmith, he stumbled "real good" . . .

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it was a simple goof....the big goof was not fixing it in the same soundbite... :crap:

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I think where he screwed up was not making an immediate and forceful apology, where he went out of his way to praise the troops. He was so busy trying not to look like he was caving to GOP pressure that he lost sight of what was truly important - not disrespecting our dedicated military men and women, regardless of what he intended to say originally. Lurch blew it big time.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I watched his response live yesterday while I was waiting to go into a meeting. He made it very clear he never intended to insult the troops. When we watched the news later that night, the editors had gotten hold of all of the speeches related to this and really did a Cuisinart job on them. I can see why people are pissed.

He also released a written statement at the same time:

As a combat veteran, I want to make it clear to anyone in uniform and to their loved ones: my poorly stated joke at a rally was not about, and never intended to refer to any troop.
I sincerely regret that my words were misinterpreted to wrongly imply anything negative about those in uniform, and I personally apologize to any service member, family member, or American who was offended.

It is clear the Republican Party would rather talk about anything but their failed security policy. I don’t want my verbal slip to be a diversion from the real issues. I will continue to fight for a change of course to provide real security for our country, and a winning strategy for our troops.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I seriously doubt he meant what he said (that would be beyond stupid) but if you're in high-level politics like he is anything and everything you say will be used against you and he should know that.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I doubt he wanted to denigrate the troops. However, taking him at his word, with the jibe being aimed at Bush's supposed lack of intelligence, he managed to appear even more of a total dumbass, and an elitist one at that.

Some choice we had....:crap:

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I thought Cheney's line today was pretty funny, "He was for the joke before he was against it."

Let's not forget that Kerry was the one who said last year, "And there is no reason... that young American soldiers need to be going into the homes of Iraqis in the dead of night, terrorizing kids and children, you know, women, breaking sort of the customs of the--of--the historical customs, religious customs."

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I thought Cheney's line today was pretty funny, "He was for the joke before he was against it."
Bwahahahahaaaa...jeez, I wish I had thought of that... :rotfl:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts