Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
20,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious as to whether my Blade is a bit thirsty on fuel as this is the first 1000cc I have had???

On this small island I do a lot of 1st and 2nd gear hard acceleration, due to the vast amount of roundabouts and short roads.

At present for around 15 litres (3.3gal) of fuel I get 115 Kilometres thats about 72 miles.:idunno:

·
Super Moderator
14,706 Posts
I am curious as to whether my Blade is a bit thirsty on fuel as this is the first 1000cc I have had???

On this small island I do a lot of 1st and 2nd gear hard acceleration, due to the vast amount of roundabouts and short roads.

At present for around 15 litres (3.3gal) of fuel I get 115 Kilometres thats about 72 miles.:idunno:
You would also be chewing through rear tyres pretty quick as well i would imagine. With my 954 I get between 200 and 300 odd klms before the light comes on with normal riding. If I'm giving it the berries, around 190 would pull it up. It also improved sh!tloads after i installed a Power commander, but 115 klms seems a tad thirsty to me, but it would depend on your definition of 1st and 2nd gear hard acceleration jazz. Does anyone say that there is black smoke coming out of the exhaust when they follow you/:idunno:

·
Registered
20,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No black smoke macca :) But Redfiddyfo might have a point !!:D :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
135 Posts
My 954 gets about 115-120 miles before the fuel light comes on. Shortly after I bought the bike, the fuel pressure regulator went bad, and I got about 75-80 miles per fill-up. After I replaced the regulator, I was back to normal.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
You're getting slightly worse mileage than my 929 gets (8kpl) when I'm racing :)
Personally I would consider it way too low but it does sound like you ride fairly differently to the average rider. It _might_ be normal due to your particular circumstances but I would definately be investigating further.
Has it always given this mileage or has it changed since it was new?
Is everything standard and the maintenance up to date?
Note: 15 liters is closer to 3.9US gallons.

·
Registered
20,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're getting slightly worse mileage than my 929 gets (8kpl) when I'm racing :)
Personally I would consider it way too low but it does sound like you ride fairly differently to the average rider. It _might_ be normal due to your particular circumstances but I would definately be investigating further.
Has it always given this mileage or has it changed since it was new?
Is everything standard and the maintenance up to date?
Note: 15 liters is closer to 3.9US gallons.
Well its just had its 1st BIG sevice 12000kilometres, then unfortunately I was attacked by the VW Transporter van soooo I have'nt riden a full tank out of it yet as I've been laid up with the broken toes syndrome !!!
It will be interesting to see if its made a difference.

If I ride steady and smooth I get around 180-200k.

Would the ambient temp and HOT airflow make a diff? :idunno:

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Would the ambient temp and HOT airflow make a diff? :idunno:
It does, but it shouldn't be noticeable and certainly not to this extent.

·
Registered
148 Posts
With my 2008, I just blew through 3.7 gallons of fuel in 93 miles. That's definitely a low, but it was all 30mph city driving with 20 runs at the drag strip. My experience is that each 1/4 mile run burns about 0.1 gal of fuel. So, if you're riding at the limit of traction/throttle, I'd say you're right on par.

·
Registered
20,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You would also be chewing through rear tyres pretty quick as well i would imagine. With my 954 I get between 200 and 300 odd klms before the light comes on with normal riding. If I'm giving it the berries, around 190 would pull it up. It also improved sh!tloads after i installed a Power commander, but 115 klms seems a tad thirsty to me, but it would depend on your definition of 1st and 2nd gear hard acceleration jazz. Does anyone say that there is black smoke coming out of the exhaust when they follow you/:idunno:
I get through a tyre every 2000Kilometres total tyre use.....exatlyright people...very very expensive !!!:eek:

·
Registered
196 Posts
When I used to rip around on my 954 through the mountain roads (2nd - 4th gear hard acceleration) I would get about 130 - 140km out of 15litres but this is travelling at an average speed of around 150kmh.

I would say your fuel economy is normal. You are wearing out a rear tyre in only 2000km you it shows you are doing alot of hard acceleration. Hard acceleration & then hard braking drinks petrol. A power commander will get you about another 10% economy on hard acceleration & 20% on cruise (constant 150kmh) if set up correctly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i got my 954 about two weeks ago...in my recent ride............
i travelled 140miles before the fuel sign lit up....
upon my calculation its around 16 kms/ liter...
its got a power commander and a full ti akrapovic exhaust

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hp I think is mid-130's?
Dry weight is 168kg, 169 in Germany and 170 in California.
Add 26kg for fully wet weight.
Strangely I just noticed the European version is rated to carry 29kg more load than the US version. How is that possible?

·
Registered
20,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hp I think is mid-130's?
Dry weight is 168kg, 169 in Germany and 170 in California.
Add 26kg for fully wet weight.
Strangely I just noticed the European version is rated to carry 29kg more load than the US version. How is that possible?

Hi Larry, dry weight on mine is 175, Bhp is 174. Rwp is mid 150's. Thats what 'They' say :idunno:

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Who is "they"?
I only have the '04/'05 manual which lists those as 180kg dry and 210kg fully wet. The 1000 _engine_ is 2.6kg heavier than the 954.
The 954 engine though is 900gms lighter than the 929!
I don't know about the claimed crank hp but low to mid 150's is right for stock rear wheel power.

·
Registered
20,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think at the end of the day from what we've looked at here is basically its just to the fact that I rip it too much.

It's a shame the island is'nt bigger like Gran Canaria. They have a track there, but its all money to get there on the ferry etc etc. Maybe next year as funds are being used for repairs. Insurance can take upto a year here !!
I really need to get out on a track !!! SAFER and all the twisties to get you and the bike around ( without Vans bumping into you!) Full bore power everywhere you can...how much fun would that be and THE....BIGGEST...SMILE I'm sure !!:D :D :D

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
What island are you on and what track is it?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts