Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm installing my sprocket/chain kit, and it looks like they put 'lithium grease' on new chains ....i get that chain wax 'fling' all over my rear tail section, even my mid fairings ....what ever they put on new chains in the packaging seems to be quite sticky, is it lithium grease ?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
not sure what they put on there but clean it off and get some CHAIN WAX it's made by MAXXIS that stuff is awesome.. never any mess anywhere.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure what they put on there but clean it off and get some CHAIN WAX it's made by MAXXIS that stuff is awesome.. never any mess anywhere.

that's what i use, still get the 'sling' ....anything over 100 mph slings garbage all over, even got some thrown all the way up onto the lower part of my gas tank....how, i'm not sure

·
Registered
211 Posts
seems like ur driving right away, make sure you wipe the chain softly with a rag after u grease the chain and let it set for a while this might help

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was told by a bike techy that it is best to lube the chain straight after a ride while the chain was still warm, as it helps the lube to penetrate the links.
Trouble with that is, that by the time i'v got out of my lid etc & shaken the can the chain is cold:confused:

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
that's what i use, still get the 'sling' ....anything over 100 mph slings garbage all over, even got some thrown all the way up onto the lower part of my gas tank....how, i'm not sure
happens to me too and I use PJ1 spary lube. I should probably check the back of left leg on my leathers cause it probably has some on it too if its managed to get that far up on the bike.

I was told by a bike techy that it is best to lube the chain straight after a ride while the chain was still warm, as it helps the lube to penetrate the links.
Trouble with that is, that by the time i'v got out of my lid etc & shaken the can the chain is cold:confused:
its still warmer than it was before the ride. if you really want it as hot as possible set the can of lube out before you go for the ride then when you get back in just rip your glove off and spray away before even taking the helmet off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
if you really want it as hot as possible set the can of lube out before you go for the ride then when you get back in just rip your glove off and spray away before even taking the helmet off.
You're way too smart for me man:O , & if the misses isn't with me, I could get her to start shaking the can when she hears me roarting down the road;) ..

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Lithium grease is what is on a new bike's chain when you buy it. That stuff really sucks and it's not easy to get off.

I'd get some red shop towels (pep boys, autozone, etc) and just coat them down with WD40, to the point of being completely saturated. Put it in your hand, make a fist and run the chain through it several times, dry it, then do it again, dry again. It should be gone for good.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
You're way too smart for me man:O , & if the misses isn't with me, I could get her to start shaking the can when she hears me roarting down the road;) ..
oh man even better. now who's the smart one ;)

Lithium grease is what is on a new bike's chain when you buy it. That stuff really sucks and it's not easy to get off.

I'd get some red shop towels (pep boys, autozone, etc) and just coat them down with WD40, to the point of being completely saturated. Put it in your hand, make a fist and run the chain through it several times, dry it, then do it again, dry again. It should be gone for good.

I just run it with the stuff on it. eventually it'll all be gone. I figure its grease so its good for the chain.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

actually , i like that stuff if that's what's on the new chains....i put over 1,100 miles on a new 07 ZX6rr with that lithium grease on it from the dealer, and the chain was still looking awesome and needed no lubing afterwards

1 - 10 of 10 Posts