Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i just joined this forum.

i am seeking some guidance on my next bike.

my current bike is a 2011 ninja 1000 (zx1000sx). this is a great bike but feels a little too heavy for my liking. I use it to commute almost daily and weekend rides around the hills.

I want to continue with the 1 litre bikes, but want something a little lighter. The blade is 30kg lighter and has better road feel (from what i have read) and it can be used for daily commute in peak hour traffic.

Where i live there are no dealers willing to let you take a demo for a ride. My only reservation in switching is that i have always owned upright bikes and the blades handlebars are much lower.

Has anyone switched from upright handles bars to sports style who can give me some feedback?

thanking you in advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ride a Triumph Rocket and a 929 I have no problems with my arm on the blade. I try to use my arms primarily for guidance and my gut mussels around town to hold me upright. Interesting you say no dealers will let you have a test ride, it was the same for me when I was younger, now they make me sign a piece of paper and give me the keys. I’m no better rider now than I was then I just look older possibly with better insurance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, much of the reviews i read say the blade is better as a road bike than the other 1ltr sports.

Is it as agile as they say?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Going from a standard bike to a 'blade is still a big difference in riding position. I found my wrists and hands got fatigued quick until I learned to support myself with my back a little more. And not having a death grip on the grips helps too. ;-)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Going from a standard bike to a 'blade is still a big difference in riding position. I found my wrists and hands got fatigued quick until I learned to support myself with my back a little more. And not having a death grip on the grips helps too. ;-)

thanks maverick0716, this was my concern that i may have picked up a particular posture position with the sports touring that going to a sports would make my experience with the sports a bad one. But sounds like from your experience you can easily adapt.

Anyone else has riden both types bikes and have any suggestion/feedback?

·
Registered
927 Posts
One other thing to note, the Honda has noticeably less vibration in the handle bars and won't put your hands to sleep near as fast as a ninja.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
thanks maverick0716, this was my concern that i may have picked up a particular posture position with the sports touring that going to a sports would make my experience with the sports a bad one. But sounds like from your experience you can easily adapt.

Anyone else has riden both types bikes and have any suggestion/feedback?
I rode a VFR 800 before I bought my RC51. VFR sport touring = clip-ons above the triple crown. RC51 = clip-ons below the top triple crown. It's like the difference between sitting on a recliner vs. scrunched up like pretzel man.
The Blade is more relaxed than any RC51. As mentioned, if you keep your stomach and back muscles strong, no problem at all. If you start putting too much weight on your clip-ons, you'll get achy wrists and shoulder blades.
If you get to liking the blade for the awesome bike it is, you probably won't have any issues at all with the more aggressive position. If you find you need a little relief, they make riser clip-ons that'll straighten you up more.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just turned 64 this past month, and have not had a problem riding my 954RR except after 100 miles or so my old knees start to hurt. Getting off for a few minutes and walking around seems to cure that problem. As far as wrist and arms are concerned, I could ride all day.

Hope this helps you. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for all your input guys. and also after sitting on a different number of bikes over the weekend i finally placed an order for the blade. it should arrive in another week. :smilierr:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts