Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm currently riding a CBR 125R as I'm due to take my 'big bike' test later this year. (I'm in the UK). I've always loved the CBR Fireblade and seriously want a Repsol Replica. My mate says I shouldn't go straight to a Blade from a 125 but I've known people who have. :nono:

Would it be wrong to go straight from a 125 to a 1000cc?

I'll be careful, honest!

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
It depends on the individual - personally, I think a 600 is a good place to start, with more than enough performance for anyone on the road. But there are lots of people who go straight to 1000s.

One thing you should check before you do anything is insurance - newly qualified riders might not even be able to get cover on a 1000, regardless of the expense. If cover is available, it'll probably cost an arm and a leg (hopefully not literally). For most of us, the cost may be unaffordable - the 600 might be the only choice from that perspective.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Both a 600 or 1000 will be a big step up in power.
But you might find them an improvement in handling and braking, especially if you are on the heavy side.

Also the 1000 is better for people with short legs. I know - I can only tip toe my cbr1000 but cant even get both feet on toes on the cbr600.

With a bit of sense a 1000 shouldnt be a big problem.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have found that there is a direct correlation between Throttle Control and Maturity....
:plus1:

just get a 600rr and buy some repsol fairings...unless you're on the track racing the 600 will be more then enough and will keep you happy for awhile :smilebig:

i own a 93 900rr, i used to switch bikes with my friend who has a 04 600rr and there was a huge difference in delivery because of fuel injection alone.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You can find yourself in the same amount of trouble on a 600 as you can on a 1000. Just take it easy and don't try to push yourself beyond what you can do. I love my 1000rr but to be honest with you it is way too powerful for street riding. I say that because when you have the ability to break the legal speed limit in first gear your tempted to do it. You also have five more gears to shift to also. Responsibility is a big factor with a high power bike. Now on the other hand when my friends and I go riding in the twisty hill filled areas I find that im shifting less than they are on their 600's. The seem to have to push the bike harder to do the same stuff I'm doing with ease. I don't know if that means I ride more effiecently or if the 1000 actually doesn't have to work as hard in that situation.

I don't know about across the pond but here it seems like having a sport bike makes everyone think you street race or do stunts. I couldn't tell you the amount of times people have reved their engines at me while at stop lights then takin off like we were racing for pink slips. Or pulled alongside me on the high way and try to annoy me into racing them. (you know the standard, get beside you speed up slow down). Or being at a stop light and someone yells "do a wheelie". In that situation I nod my head excitedly like I plan on obeying their demand. Then when the light turns I just roll away as slow as I can. lol.

Sorry for getting side tracked but get what YOU want Because you want it. Not because someone tells you its better for you. You may buy either bike and love it to death or hate it. But when it comes down to it the only person who's opinion matters in the end is yours. Just know that both the 600 and 1000 are CRAZY fast and powerful so be careful. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Now on the other hand when my friends and I go riding in the twisty hill filled areas I find that im shifting less than they are on their 600's. The seem to have to push the bike harder to do the same stuff I'm doing with ease. I don't know if that means I ride more effiecently or if the 1000 actually doesn't have to work as hard in that situation.
This is the reason why I prefer bigger engines - the spread of power is much wider, so you don't have to rev the engine as high to make progress. On the road the 600 can be as fast, if not faster than a 1000, but you need to work for it. That's perhaps why a lot of people prefer a 600, they feel it's more rewarding.

It's also the reason why I feel a 600 is more forgiving for a new rider. With a 1000, you're always in the powerband and so it might be easier to get yourself in to trouble. With a 600, it's a lot more forgiving in the low-mid range and you only hit warp speed if you intend to do so towards towards the top of the rev counter.

I don't know about across the pond but here it seems like having a sport bike makes everyone think you street race or do stunts. I couldn't tell you the amount of times people have reved their engines at me while at stop lights then takin off like we were racing for pink slips. Or pulled alongside me on the high way and try to annoy me into racing them. (you know the standard, get beside you speed up slow down). Or being at a stop light and someone yells "do a wheelie". In that situation I nod my head excitedly like I plan on obeying their demand. Then when the light turns I just roll away as slow as I can. lol.
It's quite different over here. Sportsbikes are the most common bikes on the road. We don't have a problem with stunters either, it just doesn't seem to be popular over here. Of course you see the odd wheelie, but even those are quite few and far between.

Because sportsbikes are so common, we don't really get the race challenges either. I've known it twice only - once in London, where a boy racer in his 1.0 Citroen wanted to race from the lights - why bother :idunno: . The other was a police traffic car! As if anyone would be daft enough to race that!!

·
Registered
21,183 Posts
Also the 1000 is better for people with short legs. I know - I can only tip toe my cbr1000 but cant even get both feet on toes on the cbr600.
Know that feeling lol, but the suzi 600 is easy to put your feet down and its a lovely bike.

This is the reason why I prefer bigger engines - the spread of power is much wider, so you don't have to rev the engine as high to make progress. On the road the 600 can be as fast, if not faster than a 1000, but you need to work for it. That's perhaps why a lot of people prefer a 600, they feel it's more rewarding.
Exactly love riding 600s

Because sportsbikes are so common, we don't really get the race challenges either. I've known it twice only - once in London, where a boy racer in his 1.0 Citroen wanted to race from the lights - why bother :idunno: . The other was a police traffic car! As if anyone would be daft enough to race that!!
:whistle:

·
Registered
69 Posts
@mar10w6: great post, 100% spot-on.

@Scott0702: go for a 600cc bike (v-twin, triple, or inline-4), and respect the power, and get some advanced lessons.

I went direct to a 900cc ZX9R C1 (from a 33bhp restricted VFR400 NC30), and WOW -- I wouldn't recommend it, even though it worked out for me.

I now ride a 954 'blade and a SV650S, and can appreciate the benefits of both. I wish I had the 600(-ish) CC bike earlier, it's a great size for 99% of the biking out there.

Don't be in any rush. You can have LOADS of fun on a 600cc bike and not empty your bank account w/the insurance. Plus you learn a lot more about riding smooth; and it's so easy to get into trouble when you've got (virtually) unlimited power at hand.

·
Premium Member
21,012 Posts
this topic has been beat to death, the reality is you can switch to whatever bike and never have a problem, but why not spend some time on a 600 where you dont have to worry about dumping it because of a throttle twitch?
:plus1: Sounds like a plan :clap: :welcome:to the .Org :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.